Howdy Kieth,

>>How about we refer to this subject as "the risk of global climate
>>change" . This blunts the arguments of many of the naysayers.
>>

>Um, actually it naysays it. It's not a risk, it's happening. An
>embarrassment of riches (of a sort), but, again, see what the
>insurers say:

Yes the climate is changing, but there are those who claim it to be
natural variation.  The mean temperature of the planet has changed a
scant 0.5 degrees celsius in the past century or so.  Because
temperature is a very  noisy signal here, ie temperature variations
almost two orders of magnitude greater on a  annual basis, there is
reason for caution on attribution.

>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/27311/1
>

>From  the above:  "Today, climate change as a financial issue is very
much underestimated from the point of view of the insurance and

reinsurance industry's potentially rising costs and risks...

note the use of potentially, that is what I am saying

>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/28055/

Cape Town - Global warming would affect many sectors of the economy,

including the insurance industry, according to Munich Reinsurance
Company of Africa Limited.

again there is an uncertainty expressed.

>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/30866/1

If Munich Re is correct, the world can expect a sharp increase in
insurance costs and the toll of human misery unless governments and
industry take steps to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

again there is a hedge there. " If Munich is correct"

>Why do you talk as if it's something that may happen in the future
>Bob? It's history already.

I guess  am being more conservative because it give me a stronger
position to argue from.  Basing claims of climate change on a couple of
years of data I believe leaves one more open to challenge.  For
example,  coincident with the mount pinatubo eruption was a about .5
degree drop in the temperature of the northern hemisphere for a couple
of years.

I am much more concerned with the high end projections for the next 50
or so years, which suggest a rate of change of temperature several times
greater than the past century.

>Summers. Well. I'd like to say he's not to be taken seriously, but
>have a look at this and judge for yourself (it's a pulltogether).

I hope you don't think I  included the quote from summers thinking it
had  any validity.  Quite the contrary, it was included to show  how
preposterous the "don't worry be happy" crowd actually is.

My position is that whether or not we can attribute increased current
costs for the re insurers to human affects on th climate is
immaterial.   I needn't argue that to argue that the risks are real and
the solution is radical changes in  how humans in general and first
worlders in particular, conduct their affairs.

Bob Allen,http://ozarker.org/bob
The modern conservative is engaged in one of Man's oldest exercises
in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral
justification for selfishness  JKG