<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Many thanks for the responses, it is good to know there
are others
who see through the marketing campaigns.

I have no beef with capitalism. My rant was meant to point out our
co-dependant tendency to look outward for someone to blame rather
than encouraging individuals to accept responsibility for their
actions.

For example, if the cost and responsibility of recycling the
materials were included in the sales price of new vehicles, folks
might not be in such a hurry to rush out and buy the latest model
every year. Indeed, manufacturers that made long lasting quality
products, that could be repaired rather than discarded, would emerge
on top of those selling shoddy cheap goods that break soon after the
warranty expires and are unrepairable due to design and materials
used.

That said, Keith made an important point that is all-to-often
missing from my rants; that is one of tolerence and acceptance of
others points of view, with a gentle, but persistant presentation of
logical arguments to persuade, rather than badger, others to a new
perspective on things. In other words, I need to lighten up!

It is my opinion that if one is waiting for Ford, or any other big
corporation, to lead the way environmentally, one will be sorely
dissappointed. Like drunks blaming the world for their troubles,
whilst tipping the bottle one-more-time, so-called environmentalists
fly around in jet airplanes and drive SUV's while scolding the
capitalist for supplying his demand. It's crazy man! Capitalists
exist only because their is a demand for their product. Reduce
demand, the capitalist will find another product to profit from.

I don't often disagree with Keith, but on this one point we do have
slightly differing points of view, namely that it will not do much
good to have Blue Water Network, NRDC and all the others bugging
Ford and their kind becuase I have witnessed them joining sides with
the polluters. At that point they become more of a liability than an
asset due to the false impression they give, letting an apathetic
public "off the hook" for our part in the ugliness, by simply
selling us a subscription to their magazine or providing a place we
can send $25 to ease our conscience. I would rather see these
organizations focus their resources on fully educating my brethren,
and on forcing the politicians to quit granting favors that let
these criminals off the hook.

But then I am an idealist, and a dreamer.