look4bryan wrote:

> There was also another item I wanted to ask the group about.  In the
> light aircraft arena, people have taken an air cooled 4 cylinder VW
> bug engine and split it in half, creating an engine with 2 cylinders,
> half the weight and horsepower (25-30 HP).

I've seen them used as ultralight engines, but IMHO there are better
tools for the job.

> My question to the group is this:  has anyone tried such a project?
> The prices these people want for parts to do the conversion border on
> extortion.  Over a $1000 USD just for the crank shaft.

A new aircraft quality crankshaft for $1000?  Extortion hell, that's
cheap.  Have you seen what Lyconasaur crankshafts cost lately?

> The resulting size and HP rating would just about be perfect for the
> type of projects I want to pursue.

What's your application?

> It could only be better if the
> engines were diesel, but I don't know if VW made such air cooled
> engines in diesel.

I don't think they did, but you might look up Deutz instead.

http://www.deutz.de/

Sounds like the 910 or 912 would be would be just the thing for you.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511