On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, murdoch wrote:

> http://www.nature.com/nsu/040301/040301-15.html
>
> They're pretty much what you'd think, from the name.
>
> Just saw an ABC news presentation on this contest and the vehicles.
> By 2015 apparently the Pentagon has said that 1/3 of military vehicles
> must drive themselves, or some such.  We're spending $1 billion per
> day on the military, one spokesperson said, and they're looking for
> ways to cut that.  Since a lot of that goes to the personnel, ways to
> stop them from getting into costly accidents and-or take care of tasks
> for them are on the agenda.  I wasn't 100% clear on this last part (as
> to what exactly is the money-saving aspect of robotizing the driving
> task.)

To start with, if we designed cities to have all public transportation
robotized (eg using guide wires under the roads), traffic fatalities would
be a rarity. In a city the size of Vancouver (about 6 miles x 6 miles with
550,000 people) that means 30 lives a year saved.

Sky Train, operating here since 1986 has had only one accident and that
was when a construction crew dropped an object onto it. It has no human
operator.

POC