<x-charset ISO-8859-1>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You may (or may not) care to take note that if the MTBE exemption
gets
> passed within the energy bill now before congress, any and all past,
present
> and future damages caused by MTBE will be exempt from civil
litigation, as
> will inumerable, not necessarily all, acts of criminal neglect on
the part
> of manufacturers and distributors.

Sorry for the late followup to this message, but I wanted to get
clarification on one point of the MTBE debate.

I thought the stuff was used in the first place because it was pretty
much required by the federal gov't to meet emissions regulations.  If
so, why would we then make it the fault of the companies who used it?
 I don't want to shield them from the consequences of "bad" behavior,
but many of the lawsuits are just from the results of normal use of
MTBE gasoline.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter much.  I will pay for the MTBE
error in higher gas costs or in higher taxes.  To the general public,
I guess it makes no difference.

Ed

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511