Hello Theo

Why do you want to use jatropha? Attracted by the high yields?

Actually you asked us about all this a month ago. I replied, you
didn't, now you're asking it all again, and more.

This was my reply then:

>Hello Theo
>
>>We are interested in planting jatropha curcas for producing our own
>>biodiesel and have found quite a bit of information on the net but a lot of
>>it is conflicting.  So we have a lot of questions that we need answering and
>>would appreciate any help in this regard.  We are also looking for a place
>>to buy seeds, as there doesnât seem to be place where we can purchase in
>>South Africa.
>>
>>1.    How much oil can we conservatively expect per hectare?
>>2.    Do cuttings give a lower yield than seedlings/seeds and does this last
>>over the life span of the tree?
>>3.    What is the ideal spacing for planting and what are the best conditions
>>for growing and planting?
>>4.    How long does it take for the plant to yield nuts and for how long will
>>it produce?
>>5.    How often does the tree bear fruit?
>>6.    Is it necessary to irrigate to get the maximum yield?
>>7.    Must we protect the plant against specific pests and diseases?
>>8.    What can we do with the remains of the nuts after pressing
>>them for oil?
>>9.    How much biodiesel can we expect to get out of processed oil?
>
>1. Why do you want to plant jatropha? High yield?
>
>2. Why do you want to plant a monocrop? Monocrops aren't sustainable
>- you'd want to produce sustainable biofuels via unsustainable ag
>methods?
>
>Anyway, do an archive search for "jatropha" (without the quotes),
>there's a lot of information there:
>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/
>
>Including this:
>
>"Jatropha curcas is a good option, but there are many other good
>options. The idea that it's the best option just doesn't take into
>account how development projects work, if they work at all, and this
>type of "best technology" thinking is one reason they often don't
>work. Almost any locally grown crop would have more going for it,
>regardless of Jatropha's yield and general usefulness. That's no
>reason not to use Jatropha, but it has to be fitted in properly, and
>once again full local involvement is essential for that to happen."
>
>Best
>
>Keith

Have a look at this previous message - it includes some poor results
from jatropha:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/31968/

It would be nice to have a response this time.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511