Howdy Kieth and Marc, silicon oil is a polymer of methyl silicon

     -OSi(OCH3)2-OSi(OCH3)2-   etc

because it would not react under the transesterification conditions, and
is relatively nonpolar, it should end up in the fuel, not the byproduct.

  In the engine, I suspect it would be oxidized to SiOx, otherwise known
as sand, which for obvious reasons is not good. As Kieth suggested
however, the small amount of the stuff suggests an insignificant problem.

unrelated to biofuel issues:
as to its non-toxicity, I agree but there are  kazillion dollar lawsuits
in progress from women with leaking breast implants who suggest
otherwise.

Keith Addison wrote:

>> I was looking over some surplus veggie oil today it was peanut oil
>>blended with vegetable oil(no specific type indeicated).. I noticed
>>that it also had a silicone based antifoaming agent in it..  what
>>consequences are faced in the biodiesel process because some  of the
>>oils used by  restaurants apparently hacve this silicone  anti foam
>>agent in them ....could this explain the clouding and the fibrous
>>looking  layer some of our folks have described?? Kieth,, is this
>>additive a problem???
>>Marc
>

> Hello Marc
>
> Anti-foaming... I'm pleased to know that's what they say it's for.
> Here in Japan, 3ppm of silicon is an approved additive to SVO sold in
> industrial quantities (ie 18 litre cans and above) to "stabilise it
> at high temperatures". How much silicon was added, did it say? Or can
> you find any info from the FDA or something?
>
> Anyway, it hasn't bothered us much. I think sometimes it's there and
> sometimes it's not, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to
> anything. Such small quantities would hardly matter anyway I guess,
> and I'd also guess it would probably end up in the by-product. It's
> mainly because of the small amount that I haven't yet tried to find
> out more about it, though I've intended to. It apparently has no
> effect on processing, but maybe another list member might know if it
> would end up in the by-product or not, and if not, what if any effect
> it might have on the fuel? All I know about silicon oil is that it's
> non-toxic and non-biodegradable.
>
> Best
>
> Keith

> Biofuels list archives:

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Allen,http://ozarker.org/bob
The modern conservative is engaged in one of Man's oldest exercises
in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral
justification for selfishness  JKG

---