In followup to introduction of this SUV safety topic, I want to say a
couple of things.

1.  I'm pretty sure that the European anthropologist, or whatever he
was, mentioned in the article as being a super-important consultant to
Detroit on consumer vehicle demand, himself has been said to drive a
Porsche, pretty much fo the active avoidance reasons mentioned.  So,
maybe that's how they came to choose a Porsche in the Consumer
test-grounds choices.

2.  I do think we are in some danger of over-simplifying if we just
take this one article and don't comment.  Are there other SUV's that
would handle better than the one chosen for illustration?  Probably.
Is a Porsche way off the scale, as far as being expensive and probably
better-handling than almost any other car?  Yes.  So, while the
article did a very excellent job of bringing home this apposition, for
purposes of illustration, I also think we can develop a fuller
picture.

3.  Another point that will be challenged is understanding SUV safety
and un-Safety.  If some SUVs are designed better than others, then,
driven in a careful fashion, I think a part of the problem is not so
much increased danger to the internal occupants (though this is
definitely an issue) but danger to others.  That is, the perception
that a heavier vehicle, in an accident, will - ALL OTHER THINGS BEING
EQUAL -- afford some protection, may be true.  I don't know.  I am not
going to go calling people "stupid" because they have some perception
of this.  I am just going to keep the debate open for myself.

In an SUV, all other things are not equal, because you're higher off
the ground and for other reasons.

4.  The author does not open a chapter that I think is a big deal in
this debate, which is the role of the insurance industry, the
years-and-decades slow role they seem to play, in influencing these
matters.  There is this assumption out there amongst over-simplifiers
of political philosophy, that if something is more costly, then this
cost will almost instantly (within months or a few years) be fully
refected in a capitalistic transparent process, whereby the costs go
up (payoffs on accidents for example) and the insurance companies
being profit-oriented and not wanting to get caught sleeping, will
research these matters and start passing on these massively increased
costs to consumers.  So then, when you go to buy a vehicle that may
cause dramatically increased likelihood of costly damage to the lives
and property of the others around you, as well as perhaps your own
life and property, the costs to insure that vehicle will, in theory go
way way up.

I have not gained knowledge of this matter except to say that it does
not appear, yet, despite years and decades of these vehicles being
sold, that their alleged increased costs-to-society are being fully
reflected in the insurance costs charged to owners.

So, either they are not doing as much damage to occupants and others
as is alleged, or some other explanation(s) are in order (I am much
more inclined toward the latter, but am just listing everything
possible to be meticulous and orderly in examining what I believe to
be not only an important question, but a conspicuously under-discussed
question).

Other explanations might include a sort of botched-up courts process
where payments for this or that, following an accident, take on a
muddied-water lack of transparency making it difficult to assess the
real costs to all involved, versus the finally-recorded costs.

They may include a refusal to pay all or part of many legitimate
insurance claims, and (as some will insist, sometimes rightly) an
accession to paying claims that are not legitimate or partly
illegitimate.

There may be state and federal regulations governing how actuaries and
others are allowed to assess this or that issue when determining
insurance rates.

There may be, and probably are, a variety of other influences that I
haven't thought of or named on the process of how insurance rates
change over time to reflect this or that technological evolution.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511