Over 42,000 US citizens are killed per year, by each other, using cars.

Close to 3,000,000 injured. (1)

(What makes it so possible to drive so much, thus exposing oneself to
the risk? Cheap, heavily subsidized fuel. Public money spent on roads.
Externalized costs. What makes it so necessary? Development based on
automobile culture and the assumption that society will pay for a large
portion of the cost of the roads, and continue to subsidize cheap fuel.)

(BTW, that is about triple the number of people killed via handguns in
the USA annually)

Total number killed in attacks of 9/11 (official figure as of 9/5/02):
2,819 (2) (Provided simply as a comparison to the annual death toll
from automobile use)

  NHTSA earlier estimated that highway crashes cost society $230.6
billion   a year, about $820 per person. (1)

Fatalities in rollover crashes accounted for 82 percent of the total
fatality   increase in 2002. In 2002, 10,666 people died in rollover
crashes, up 5 percent   from 10,157 in 2001. The number of persons
killed in sport utility vehicles   (SUVs) that rolled over rose 14
percent. Sixty-one percent of all SUV fatalities  involved rollovers.
(1)

In fatal crashes between passenger cars and LTVs (light trucks and
vans, a category that   includes SUVs), the occupants of the car were
more often fatally injured. When a car was struck   in the side by an
LTV, the fatality was 20.8 times more likely to have been   in the
passenger car. In a head-on collision between a car and an LTV, the
fatality was 3.3 times more likely to be among car occupants. (1)

(What makes these 4-wheeled battering rams, used as daily
transportation of a few passengers, so affordable? Cheap fuel. What
makes them so popular? Advertising.)

Causes of death:

In 2000, the most common actual causes of death in the United States
were tobacco (435,000), poor diet and physical inactivity (400,000),
alcohol consumption (85,000), microbial agents (e.g., influenza and
pneumonia, 75,000), toxic agents (e.g., pollutants and asbestos,
55,000), motor vehicle accidents (43,000), firearms (29,000), sexual
behavior (20,000) and illicit use of drugs (17,000). (3)

But, what happens if we combine factors of driving and poor diet and
inactivity? What I mean is, how much does car dependence influence the
purchase of larger quantities of unhealthy foods, and the tendency to
less physical activity? These are quite obviously related. One drives
to the fast food place or the grocery store to haul home larger amounts
of processed foods... thus there is an increase all three risks: risk
of accident while driving, risk of long term results of lack of
exercise, and risk of long term result of diet.

It seems it's the car, and the heavily subsidized fuel and roads, that
make all this so possible, so easy....what's the real cost of a barrel
of imported oil?...

"...When added to the most recent nominal price for a barrel of
imported oil, they raise its "real" price to between $101.40 per barrel
and $103.24 per barrel. This translates into a pump price for gasoline
of between $5.01 and $5.19, or from $90.18 to $93.42 to fill an average
gas tank. "  (4)

(1)http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/
pressdisplay.cfm?year=2003&filename=pr32-03.html
(2)http://www.newyorkmetro.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm
(3) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/index.php?newsid=6971
(4)http://washingtontimes.com/commentary/20030722-093718-6082r.htm

When it's all said and done, if the real costs of petroleum use as fuel
were added up and reflected in the pump price, a number of interesting
things would likely occur:

1) Less driving....fewer deaths/injuries and costs to the economy from
the combination of driving-related factors including car-culture diet
and lack of exercise.

2) A larger proportion of smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles

4) More use of renewable energy (it would make it easier for things
like biodiesel at the B100 level to compete with fossil fuel if fossil
fuel costs were reflected at the pump). New jobs in renewable energy
technology and provision would take the place in the economy of jobs
lost to fossil fuel-based transport.

5) A reduced requirement to pay military costs for access to imported
oil.

6) Development of other non-renewables options within the country that
are currently "too expensive" (e.g. extracting remaining reserves from
old wells, by newer, more expensive methods, etc.)

7) Spur exploration within the country for more fossil fuel.

8) Increased development, and job creation, for new drive systems, new
materials, new designs in the creation of a renewable energy economy.

Conservation, needed to pay  the higher per gallon or per unit of
energy cost of renewables/true cost of fossil fuel, would make
renewables a more viable option - in other words, you can afford to pay
more for either of these if you reduce consumption.

Then the renewable energy options are viable and sustainable, and only
then.

You have to use a lot less to accomplish the same tasks, in a renewable
energy-based economy, to make it work. You can't as easily just "go
find more" if you're using renewables.

You can't substitute biodiesel for diesel, for example, *doing things
the way we do them now*, i.e. extravagant use of diesel fuel*...but you
*can* meet the needs of society via renewables, or are much more likely
  to be able to do so, IF you are much more energy-efficient and
conservation-minded AND you combine a whole range of renewable energy
technologies to take the place of that single, very convenient gift of
nature, the barrel of fossil oil.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511