Hi J.D.

> > Keith, Gustl,
>The saw is a Stihl 025 with an 18" bar and a replaceable floating rim
>sprocket so that replacement isn't much.

Same as ours, but yours is bigger. I'm not sure about the floating
rim sprocket. Trouble is, it's in bits and pieces. It came with the,
um, house, and it was like that when we arrived (a bit like the
house). I've looked at it threateningly a few times, close enough to
ascertain that all the bits seem to be there, but it's still in its
box. We've been using circular saws up to now, but we have need of a
working chainsaw, I'll have to do more than just threaten it soon. If
it works, I'll definitely try biodiesel as lube, and also as 2-stroke
oil. Hm, I'll probably need a junked one for spares, have to put in
an order with the Gomi Kame (the God of Junk, upon whom we depend
rather heavily, he's most cooperative).

>Some components are near the end
>of their anticipated useful life so I'm not running that big of a risk.  I
>am not a professional logger, but I do cut a fair bit of firewood, dead
>trees and waste from construction sites that would otherwise be wasted and
>make a little "something for nothing" from it.

Yes, quite, so do we. Good for you.

>I just got the idea and
>poured it in.  I can tell that it is working so far as it has that bit of
>spray you all talked about from the end of the bar.  I have only run it
>this way for about 15-20 minutes.  I will keep you posted.

Please.

>I think teh
>saw itself might outlast me at the rate I'm using it now.  Keith you are
>right, Stihl makes a vegoil based bar and chain lube.  I was interested in
>it because it is renewable, but the dealer said you'd have to special
>order taht in the U.S., but that was a few years back.

Surely it must be more common than special-order status. It's been
discussed here before, how much dino-muck gets spouted around forests
by chainsaws. IIRC it's common in Northern Europe, and I think Canada.

Ed, don't Neoteric sell that stuff? Canola-based?

Best

Keith