I send this hesitatingly because I am not certain of all of the options for
disposal in Hawaii.

This came across as the Tip of the Week.

      TIP OF THE WEEK

      Last week, we asked readers to share their thoughts on the best way for
consumers to dispose of household cooking grease. Clearly, fats, oils and
grease need to be kept out of sewer systems, but where should these substances
go?
      Several readers suggested that the best solution would be collection of
household FOG by local governments for conversion into biodiesel or other
usable products. But would the value of the biodiesel or other products be
worth the costs of collection?

      Other readers said sending the FOG straight to a landfill presents no
problems. Alternatively, some mentioned, household FOG can be put to use in
other ways around the house, such as to make fire starters for camping.

      Jim Newton, P.E., DEE, environmental program manager for the Kent County
Department of Public Works, Dover, Del., wrote, "When we first instituted our
FOG program, we thought of providing a canister to each homeowner that we serve
to collect grease. They could then bring the full canisters to the county
wastewater facility for disposal. However, we have more than 10,000 houses on
our system, and this would be very difficult and costly to administer.

      "The state EPA does favor land application of FOG, since it is primarily
made of animal and vegetable fats and is therefore biodegradable," he adds.
"Once it is a solid, FOG can therefore be safely placed in landfills."

      Don Piepgrass, a civil engineer for the city and county of Honolulu,
Hawaii, writes, "Here in Honolulu, residents are encouraged to dispose of
household grease, plus used oil from cars and similar uses, in the trash. The
trash is transported not to a landfill but to a trash-to-energy incinerator,
where the grease and oil helps produce electricity. This makes it a win-win
situation. It keeps grease out of the sewers, oil out of the storm drains that
all flow into the ocean and helps produce energy that in turn lowers the cost
of refuse disposal. Only the ash, which is 10 percent to 20 percent of the
weight of the original trash, is landfilled."

      Is this true?

      Art Krenzel, P.E.
      PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES
      10505 NE 285TH Street