Doug;

Of course it is not lost that the fact that you haven't run a virus
checker leaves you in the absolute dark as to whether or not your PC
is loaded with spyware/adware ect...
How do you know? You could be the trap door to the mountains of spam
that get sent via infected machines every day.
The only reason we hear more about MS getting hit by hackers so much
is because that's what the majority of the world is using. Linux or
Mac are NOT immune to infection and should they become more popular
they too would see the happy litte bugs showinig up in droves
looking for a home.This not to say that they have not been targeted
in the past, as they have, sucessfully, so to say that this OS or
that is "better" and immune is a false sense of security that could
end up costing you big time should one of these little mignons
decide that seeing as how Linux and Mac users are so not looking for
an attack that that just might be "fun" to hit next.
The "better" solution is to invest the money the hackers have forced
you to dish out and get GOOD anti-virus/anti-hacking software as
well as spyware and adware removal software and be happy that you
did it BEFORE you lost your hard drive to some "helpful" hacker.
Personally I run Norton's Internet Security combined with Spybot
Search and Destroy for spyware and Ad-Aware by Lavasoft for the
adware and although many many attempts have been made at gaining
access to my Windows XP equiped machine none have yet suceeded in so
doing, thank God, although NO system is 100% ironclad shut to
hacking we owe it to ourselves to make the job as difficult as
possible and then the hackathons will simply find an easier target,
such as one who isn't expecting them, like say, a Linux or Mac user
who thinks he/she is impervious to them.
The fact is, if you DO NOT run anti-virus checks then HOW do you
know you aren't infected? Answer: you don't.

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And another way - get a Mac!
>
> >There is another way: just run Linux! I have yet to have a virus
problem, & I
> >do not even run a virus checker!
>
> Same.
>
> >regards Doug
> >(A die-hard Linux user of 3 years+)
>
> So what it does indeed come down to is dear old M$.
>
> Best
>
> Keith
>

> >On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:45 am, malcolm maclure wrote:
> > > Unfortunately folks, no matter what Microsoft or any third
party s/w
> > > company produce to counter this situation, it will be hacked
in a very
> > > short time.
> > >
> > > A similar situation exists for online gamers, a world dogged
by a
> > > minority of people who cheat using hacks to give them an unfair
> > > advantage over honest "just wanna have fun"" players. Many
anti-cheat
> > > software systems have been developed to counter the problem
but all are
> > > hacked within days of release and are rendered useless. There
is a new
> > > anticheat being released shortly, written by a very clever
programmer,
> > > it could be a big breakthrough in the gaming world, if it
works. The
> > > problem is there are very clever hackers who just love the
challenge of
> > > cracking a new system - what a waste of amazing talent &
intellect. If
> > > only these people could direct their energies to contribute
rather than
> > > abuse.
> > >

> > > The best advice would be:
> > >
> > > Keep your Windows system updated
> > >
> > > Run antivirus software, regularly updated
> > >
> > > Run a firewall, regularly updated - Best of all - get a router
with a
> > > built-in hardware firewall
> > >
> > > Run anti-adware software so you're not broadcasting your IP or
e-mail
> > > addresses
> > >

> > > None of these will truly protect you from the most determined
hacker,
> > > but the harder you make it the more likely they will move on
to an
> > > easier target.
> > >
> > > If anyone needs any advice with any of the above, I'd be glad
to lend a
> > > hand, just mail me. Between myself, my stepson & his co-
workers we have
> > > quite a wealth of knowledge on internet security & programming
(one
> > > co-worker has written system control software for Powergen,
the QE2 etc)

> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Malcolm

We've had
> > > quite a few viruses purporting to come from Yahoo. We've even
had
> > > viruses purporting to come from Journey to Forever, even from
us
> > > personally, doing things like warning us that our email
service is
> > > going to be closed down, please see the attachment (not!). It's
> > > happening to everyone, including a lot of the big environment
groups,
> > > NGOs, businesses, all sorts of people. Keep your system
properly
> > > patched and protected, keep your virus gear up to date, be a
> > > suspicious type.
> > >
> > > You can't get a virus via the group, by the way, it just can't
> > > happen. But you can get a virus from a false address
pretending to be
> > > from the group, though you should be able to see the
difference, as
> > > you did with this.
> > >
> > > Dear old Micro$oft, what a disaster. Yes, sure, if you keep it
all
> > > squeaky-clean then there's no problem, right. Maybe it's even
true,
> > > but during the most recent virus onslaught something like 70
million
> > > Windoze computers were infected and spewing out viruses and
spam, the
> > > owners all cheerfully unaware. A security survey of a million
> > > computers in businesses in the US found an *average* infection
rate
> > > of 28 viruses and worms per machine. It won't get better until
M$
> > > wakes up to the idea that maybe a secure OS might be something
> > > think about. Holding your breath is contraindicated. Dumbo
system
> > > administrators who set up protection systems that
automatically send