Hello Todd,

>It's not
>necessarily the tank that is determined to be by and large worthless.

Ah, it is as I was supposing, then.

>As for your wallet? If a person were on a really tight budget they could use
>a flat bottomed
>HDPE tank and place it on a shallow incline. This would avoid the extra
>several hundred dollars expense for conical design and matching stand and
>accomplish the same end just as well and perhaps even better with a properly
>designed syphon leg.

Is there a problem with getting relatively complete drainage?  I considered
for a time doing such as you suggest, but decided against it as I thought
there might be too much glycerine left in the bottom nook between bung and
wall, which means part of the glycerine fraction would accompany the bd off
to the wash tank.  Your experience doesn't run that way?

>As for drum heaters being used for plastic? Sure there are those
>specifically designed for that purpose. But those are "warmers" not
>"heaters." You don't want more than 120* F on 1.9 SG HDPE on a continual
>basis.
>
>And no, you shouldn't wrap any insulation material around a belt heater, as
>it can
>cause overheating and shorting. You can wrap above and below the heater, but
>not over it.

Thank you very much.  You probably just saved me from a very expensive
mistake.

>If you want a heating system with more utility, you might wish to check out
>a simple heat exchanger with circulation pump using a five gallon pot and a
>propane tank as a fuel source. Sure, it requires manual calibration. But
>then again, once it's calibrated it's no more operationally different than
>turning the rheostat on a pricey heating system. And it's a lot more
>universal.

(Smiling ruefully)  I was rather hoping to get away from having to build a
heat exchanger.  I'm still a bit spoiled from my lab years having all the
techno-goodies!  Now I'm having to build the techno-goodies and it's not my
baliwick at all.

Thanks for the timely advice and the why behind it.
HeidiWD