Hello Richard

John Nicholson's site.

>But I need some help with some terms that are probably common
>knowledge in the UK.
>what is "Jay cloth"...used for filtering

It's a thin, blue-and-white cleaning cloth, dunno wot it's made of
but it's woven so as to have a mesh, like a fine net.

>jubilee clips

Gem clips? Stainless steel clamps with a bolt on the side, used for
connecting hoses etc.

>"organic solvents"
>a natural solvent
>Industrial white spirit or turps substitute

http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/hsg103.htm
White spirit (HSG 103, 1996)

>And does anyone have any experience or insight in the use of these
>additives.

There's been some discussion of it before, here and elsewhere, which
I guess could be summed up as scepticism. Eg.:

>>Sounds almost to good....
>
>Um, yes. It was discussed recently at the veg-oil diesel list, with
>general scepticism. Paddy (UK) said: "Personally I reckon it is a
>load of baloney", which seemed to sum it up. Whatever white spirit
>happens to be anyway, though in the UK it seems to be mineral
>turpentine (artificial). There's some info on it here:
>http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/hsg103.htm
>White spirit (HSG 103, 1996)
>
>It was thought it wouldn't improve the combustion, but would lower
>the viscosity somewhat, though not in such small quantities as shown
>(a teaspoonful, I think), you'd need much more - 30-50%.
>
>I discussed it before offlist with a few other people, we couldn't
>see the point. Not much different to mixing the oil with kerosene,
>and I don't think there's much point to that:
>
>Mixing it
>http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#1mixing
>
>If someone finds it works for them, that's great, but recommending
>it might be another matter. What you can safely recommend are either
>biodiesel or a proper SVO system, that is an engine conversion or a
>two-tank system with pre-heating, using biodiesel or petro-diesel
>for starts and stops.

Maybe Darren has later information? Have you seen Darren Hill's site?
I think it's much better than John Nicholson's.

http://www.vegburner.co.uk/index.html
Vegburner

>I get the feeling that straight WVO is not really a topic of favor
>here...

That's not true at all, all biofuels subjects are "topics of favor"
here, there's been a great deal of discussion of WVO and I'm sure
there'll be a great deal more.

You said this before:

>I'm sorry if I'm requesting info that has been recently posted, but
>my search for "straight WVO" did not give me satisfaction...let me
>know if there is a more productive search title.

I wanted to ask you which archives you used, because (as I keep
saying) if you used Yahoo's archives you wouldn't have got too far,
it's useless. Use the list's independent archives, which is linked at
the end of every message you receive:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

... where a search for "straight WVO" (including quotes) yields 1,765
hits. Each of those has a "Click here for more on this subject"
button which takes you to the whole thread. Other search strings
would give you far more results, and you'd find the right strings to
use from reading these messages. Not a "topic of favor"?

>if someone can guide me to where there might be more interest
>in straight WVO...I will go away, and not bother you...and leave you
>all transfixed on your Transesterification.

Richard, there's room for everything. Nobody's "transfixed" on
anything, and even if they were you (a) don't have to read it,
messages have subject lines, and (b) it would in no way prevent any
other discussion. Anyway biodiesel and SVO/WVO are pretty much
complementary subjects.

Keith