John,

At 22:32 17/06/2004, you wrote:
>I have no intention of listing good things. The point has nothing to do
>with defending the US. The point is to see if you see the US as good and
>bad or just bad or just good. If you fit into the just bad or just good
>categories you should probably rethink your position.

If you have no intention to list any good foreign policies, why did you
bring it up. In asking others to do so, you indirectly told us that you
could do so. I do have accept that you cannot or as you say will not. If it
would be easy and obvious, I would not ask you, but you asked me and I have
difficulties.

>For example Saddam Hussein
>Good: Early in his leadership he nationalised the oil industry and greatly
>increased the standard of living in his country by building infrastructure.
>Bad: Started a war with Iran.

A proxy war and heavily supported by US foreign policy. The famous gassing
of his own people with WMDs, which were with direct deliveries from US. It
has not been clearly established that it was not a result from fighting
with Iranian in the same area and the same time.

>Turned the entire country into a welfare state because it was easier to
>maintain control that way.

So now I am in trouble, being a Swede and lived most of my life in welfare
states like Sweden, Spain, The Netherlands, UK, France etc. It has never
occurred to me that a welfare state is necessary something evil and that we
take the risk of US occupation. Regarding his motives, they could
originally have been benign, who knows?

>Undertook a quest to rebuild the auttoman empire which resulted in the
>invasion of Kuwait and the first gulf war which effectively ended his
>power by destroying the vast majority of his military.

I think that you must study some more about the Ottoman empire (if we mean
the same), the first logical step would have been to occupy Turkey, but
maybe it is some indications that he might had thoughts in that direction.
Turkey is however a NATO member and nearly an impossible task, I doubt that
he ever had thoughts in that direction. Iraq have always had the opinion
that Kuweit was a renegade province. Do not forget that he asked US for
permission first and got an answer from an incompetent US ambassador, that
US did not care if he did it. With a strong initial rejection from US, we
might not be in the situation of today. An other blatant sample of US
foreign policies.

>Spent the next ten years smuggling oil to maintain his standard of living.
>Didn't seem to care about his country any more.

That I think can be better described as FFA ventures.

>Compared to other dictators in the area probably not the best or the worst.
>
>I am sure if I did more research I could find more positive about him
>especially at the begining of his career. When you start comparing him to
>leaders in the area he looks much better.

It is very hard to tell, how it would have looked without the Iran war,
which was very much a result of US foreign policies. War corrupts and
directly result in hard measures to keep the discipline of military and
population. Speculation are not going to change history and the Iraq
hardships under the Saddam regime. He would probably been much better off,
without the Iranian war and US foreign policies, but we will never know.

>As for US Corporations I have no illusion, the only thing they care about
>is money. However I don't think the corporations of any other country are
>any different. Traditionally modern nations have just been better at it. I
>think this is one of the main things missed by many governments. Taxing
>corps to death kills them and trusting them with the chickens is just as
>bad or worse.

US foreign policies have always accommodated US corporate interests abroad.

Hakan