> >FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >DATE: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:17:04 -0600 (MDT)
> >SUBJECT: Re: request for list
> >
> >From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Well, sorry to be contentious, but I didn't. And this rather proves
> > > to me that it's not the list that should mend its ways but you.
> >
> >Keith clearly this is an issue for you so I will simply drop it.

You make a bunch of mistakes and propose some less-than-useful
changes and when I question you on it it's "an issue for me"? LOL!

>It is
> >your list so you may do with it what you would like.

It is NOT my list, and I may NOT do with it as I like. That's your
true level of list expertise, huh, to think that, despite all your
claims below? It belongs to its members, and I do their bidding,
which I'm in a very good position to judge. My own opinions or views
and "issues" are no more or less important than any other member's.

>I was also
> >incorrect, you did not quote the unsubscription information.  I was also
> >simply trying to make the list more accessible to people who subscribe to
> >it the way that I same way I do, not to cater the entire list to myself
> >personally (??).
> >
> >I am also well aware of technologies involving listserves and chatrooms, I
> >have built several of both and continue to moderate several email lists.
> >Some of these have been successful and some have not.  I am also a
> >professional website builder and had papers published in college on
> >so-called e-anthropology which for example would be an examination of this
> >specific online culture, who the "top dogs" (or who thinks they may be a
> >"top dog" though the list exists largely outside of reality) and other
> >aspects of the social community.

Well you'll just have to keep on doing it until you get it right. I
know quite a few reporters who've been using computers and
computerised systems for years but they still haven't discovered how
to cut and paste. You've demonstrated your level of expertise, as
opposed to your "experience", and continue to do so - for instance,
you've cut the entire previous message, which might be rather
convenient for you in the circumstances, but once again it does not
promote good comunication. So I'll put it back again (below).

> >In regards to the listserve format, the request I made is generally
> >considered one of the greatest weaknesses of the email list format.  I was
> >merely attempting to stengthen the list and I am not quite sure why you
> >took it so personally.

I didn't, you have.

> >I also generally believe that because of these weaknesses,  online
> >web-based forums have begun to flourish when many online communities (just
> >as this one did) started with a fairly healthy email list.  One of these,
> >with the original list now fledgling, is switching to a dual system where
> >it exists both as a subject-sorted online forum and an email list.  Here
> >is an excellent example:
> >http://www.birfield.com/archives/html/landcruisers/2004-06/threads.html

Actually, for all its quirks, Yahoo! Groups is an excellent example
(having inherited it from e-Groups) - a web board and a mailing list
both.

Online web-based forums in themselves are a lousy way to handle
information. They're opaque, but, more than that, you keep no records
and assemble no resources that way. Thus they tend to operate with a
very short memory span and are inclined to be superficial. The Lowest
Common Denominator soon begins to have a weightier influence than it
should. There are not many exceptions to this. Most people who use
online web-based forums don't know much about handling information
well and so they remain unaware of the limitations of the medium, and
are not encouraged to learn better. Okay for chat and banter, not
much else.

> >However, after reading a quote on your web site about my good friend Jack
> >Kenworthy who I went to high school and college with, I am simply
> >attempting to enjoy one more resource on the Internet.

To which of course you're most welcome. Just please preserve us from
your efforts to "strengthen the list", I think we'll manage to
struggle along somehow without, as we have been doing for the last
four and a half years, not without some success.

Keith Addison
List owner

> >Best of luck,
> >Andre Shoumatoff
> >
> >http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_link.html
> >"The Biofuel list really helps biofuellers. A typical example: list member
> >Jack Kenworthy of the Cape Eleuthera Island School in the Bahamas joined
> >the list in November 2002 as a novice. List members helped him learn how
> >to make biodiesel from scratch, helped him solve problems he encountered,
> >then helped him design and build a processor. Nine months after joining he
> >wrote to the list: "Hey All -- just thought I would let you know that I
> >just received my results from the ASTM tests [the US ASTM D-6751 biodiesel
> >standard] and we passed all categories. Just another good example of a
> >homebrewer in a remote setting (Bahamas) making spec-grade biofuel!
> >Thanks! -- Jack"
> >

> >Andre Shoumatoff
> >Park City, Utah, USA

> >Utah Biodiesel Cooperative