--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jorge,

I am trying another test batch this weekend (was unable to put the
time in last weekend) with different NaOH.  A second test batch
following instructions to the T gave the same results.  I see the
results as an incomplete reaction, with the gummy stuff being an
emulsion.  I suspect my NaOH supply as the culprit.  I'll let folks
know if this turns out to actually be the case.

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Vip Video Club" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Im having the same thing as Brian...I did the washing in a jar and
i got the same. The 5 gal. bucket that i was processing it turned
with a gummy stuff on top and underneath that layer is something
like  used motor oil. I did everything like the instructions,but
something went wrong.It seems like the glycerin went to the top and
nothing to the botton of the bucket.
> somebody tell me what i did wrong?
> Jorge Escobar

instructions
>   > say it will take one and a half to two hours, I think this may
be
>   > one place that things went wrong, although the appearance when
>   > finished was just as described.
>   >
>   > I let the mixture settle in an old 2 liter soda bottle for
about 6
>   > hours, and it looked exactly like the pictures on the JTF web
site.
>   > Clear, golden amber layer on top with dark glycerol on the
bottom.
>   > I called the test batch a great success and went on to wash my
new
>   > biodiesel, which is where the problem came up.  I put about 1/3
>   > liter water in a clean 2 liter bottle, decanted the biodiesel
on top
>   > of it, then shook.  I probably shook a little vigorously, but
with
>   > the assumption that the foolproof method would leave me with
product
>   > which could withstand this type of washing.  What I have now
is a
>   > cloudy, murky yellow layer of nearly one liter followed by a
guhky
>   > layer looking most like old soap scum and then a small amount
of
>   > cloudy water.  Since the middle layer looks like soap scum, I
am
>   > assuming that is exactly what it is.  I assume also that the
upper
>   > layer is biodiesel with water still in it, and may clear
>   > eventually.  The bottom layer is obviously water with the water
>   > soluble leftovers from the biodiesel process.
>   >
>   > My take on the problem is that either I did not heat and stir
long
>   > enough in stage two, overheated in stage one or agitated too
>   > vigorously in the wash stage.  I think it is probably a
combination
>   > of not enough processing in stage two and overzealous
agitation in