Published on Thursday, June 17, 2004 by the Guardian/UK
 Oil Chief: My Fears for Planet
 Shell Boss's 'Confession' Shocks Industry
 by David Adam

 The head of one of the world's biggest oil companies has admitted that the
threat of
 climate change makes him "really very worried for the planet".

 In an interview in today's Guardian Life section, Ron Oxburgh, chairman of
Shell, says
 we urgently need to capture emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide,
which
 scientists think contribute to global warming, and store them underground - a
 technique called carbon sequestration.

 "Sequestration is difficult, but if we don't have sequestration then I see
very little hope
 for the world," said Lord Oxburgh. "No one can be comfortable at the prospect
of
 continuing to pump out the amounts of carbon dioxide that we are pumping out at
 present ... with consequences that we really can't predict but are probably
not good."

 His comments will enrage many in the oil industry, which is targeted by climate
 change campaigners because the use of its products spews out huge quantities of
 carbon dioxide, most visibly from vehicle exhausts.

 His words follow those of the government's chief science adviser, David King,
who
 said in January that climate change posed a bigger threat to the world than
terrorism.

 "You can't slip a piece of paper between David King and me on this position,"
said
 Lord Oxburgh, a respected geologist who replaced the disgraced Philip Watts as
 chairman of the British arm of the oil giant in March.

 Companies including Shell and BP have previously acknowledged the problem of
 climate change and pledged to reduce their own emissions, but the issue remains
 sensitive, and carefully worded public statements often emphasize
uncertainties over
 risks.

 Robin Oakley, a climate campaigner with Greenpeace, said: "This is an important
 statement to make but it does have to come with a commitment to follow
through, and
 that means making the case to his peers in the oil industry who are still
skeptical of
 climate change."

 Mr Oakley said a gulf was opening between more progressive oil companies such
as
 Shell, which invests in alternative energy sources including wind and solar
power, and
 ExxonMobil, the biggest and most influential producer, particularly in the US.

 In June 2002 ExxonMobil's chairman, Lee Raymond, said: "We in ExxonMobil do not
 believe that the science required to establish this linkage between fossil
fuels and
 warming has been demonstrated."

 Lord Oxburgh's words will also fuel arguments over sequestration. Supporters
say it
 will allow a smoother transition to reduced emissions by allowing us to burn
coal, oil
 and gas for longer. Critics argue that the idea is an expensive and probably
 unworkable smokescreen for continued reliance on fossil fuels.

 Last year the Guardian revealed that ministers were considering plans for a
national
 network of pipelines to carry millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide from power
stations
 to be buried under the North sea.

 "You probably have to put it under the sea but there are other possibilities.
You may be
 able to trap it in solids or something like that," said Lord Oxburgh, who
claimed even
 vehicle emissions could be trapped and disposed of. "The timescale might be
 impossible, in which case I'm really very worried for the planet because I
don't see any
 other approach."

 According to a 3,000m (about 10,000ft) ice core from Antarctica revealing the
Earth's
 climate history, carbon dioxide levels are the highest for at least 440,000
years.

 Lord Oxburgh said the situation is particularly urgent because many developing
 countries, including India and China, are sitting on huge untapped stocks of
coal,
 probably the most polluting fossil fuel.

 "If they choose to burn their coal, we in the west are not in a very good
position to tell
 them not to, because it's exactly what we did in our industrial revolution."

 Bryony Worthington, a climate campaigner with Friends of the Earth, said: "It
isn't a
 responsible attitude to say we're going to pledge to do sequestration but if
the plans
 don't work out then the world's messed up. He's done quite a clever job by
making it
 clear he's concerned but at the same time not pledging to do anything about
it."

 She called for tougher emission standards for new vehicles, as well as greater
 investment in energy efficiency measures and renewable sources.

 A former non-executive director with Shell, Lord Oxburgh was catapulted into
the
 chairman's role after the company was forced to reveal it had overstated the
extent of
 its reserves. He was widely viewed as a safe pair of hands.

 He followed his long-standing academic career with spells as chief science
adviser to
 the Ministry of Defense and rector of Imperial College, London. A crossbench
life peer,
 he still chairs the Lords science and technology select committee, although he
must
 retire from Shell next year.