The conversations and accusations are flying around, so I thought I would post
an article I received from a humor writer which may help someone put this whole
discussion in perspective. Enjoy.

Dick

THIS WEEK'S COLUMN:

"THE HOT MOVIE THAT'S BURNING BUSH"

Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" has already
set records at the box office, treating moviegoers to a
scathing attack on President Bush and his co-architects in
the war on terrorism. If you hate Bush, you will absolutely
love this movie, which probably explains why so many people
are eager to dub the movie into Arabic. Not to mention
French, Spanish, German, Russian, Mandarin, Hindi, Tonga,
Swahili and (please insert your native language here).

As much as I love to bash the president, I have misgivings
about this movie. It's a rather one-sided presentation of
facts, designed to get Americans to ask a serious question
about their president, a question that has been asked
countless times in other countries: How did this idiot get
elected?

But Bush is hardly an idiot and if you don't believe me,
just ask the woman who dresses him. She will tell you that
he's quite capable at what he does, leading America against
the forces of evil, who are involved in all sorts of
mischief these days, even producing award-winning
documentaries.

While "Fahrenheit 9/11" is certainly compelling, it's
important to ask ourselves how fair it is. For example,
Moore shows us what Bush did on Sept. 11 after learning that
a second plane had hit the twin towers: He continued reading
a book called "My Pet Goat" to a group of schoolchildren for
almost seven minutes. In other words, he didn't do what most
Americans would expect of him in this moment of crisis: Jump
out of his chair, grab a phone and say, "Hey Dick, what the
heck should I do?"

What people don't realize, however, is that the president is
an expert multi-tasker. The demands of his job often dictate
that he perform several tasks at once, sometimes even using
both sides of his brain. In those seven minutes of seemingly
casual reading, he had not only planned the wars on
Afghanistan and Iraq, but also determined, through a highly
analytical process, what he was going to have for lunch.

Moore also shows us that despite the involvement of at least
15 Saudi Arabian natives in the Sept. 11 attacks, the Bush
Administration allowed a number of Saudis, including the
extended family of Osama bin Laden, to charter planes and
leave America soon after the terrorist attacks. Of course,
there is a logical explanation for this. And as soon as I
find it, I will let you know.

Moore and other critics of the Bush Administration seem to
imply that the Saudis were allowed to leave America
unquestioned. But that's not true at all. Before boarding
their planes, all of them were asked the all-important
question: "Did you pack your bags yourself?" And all of them
gave the correct answer: "Of course not. We have maids for
that!"

Citing a figure from the Washington Post, Moore charges that
Bush spent 42% of the first seven months of his presidency
on vacation, implying that he was ill-prepared to prevent
the terrorist attacks. There are two problems with this
argument. First, Bush took what he calls "working
vacations." He didn't just sit around -- he WORKED on his
golf swing.

Second, the 42% figure includes weekends. Most Americans do
not think of their weekends as vacations. Even when they get
a Friday or Monday off, they call it a "long weekend," not a
"short vacation." If ordinary Americans can get four
weekends a month, surely the president is entitled to six or
seven.

But this kind of logical reasoning seems to escape Moore,
perhaps because he doesn't have the intellectual capacity of
President Bush. In fact, we can be reasonably certain that
Moore, in his entire adulthood, has never even read "My Pet
Goat."