Murky is normal. Chicken soup looking huh? It will break. The
emulsion is not good, probably incomplete reaction (as I have myself
been finding out).
It seems, and Todd or Keith or others in know please correct me if I
didn't get it, that titration is the key to the one stage process.
That is what did it for me. I was not aloowing the proper amount of
tinme for the Ph meter to settle on the reading and that caused me
to jump the gun (being impatient and wanting to do BD yesterday) but
jumping the gun has only made it more difficult as I now have to re-
learn what I should've learned in the first place, and that is, how
to do it right the first time.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "bigsimpleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I have been trying my hand at making biodiesel using Josh Tickells
> recipe. Then I found JtF and you guys, and learned there was much
> more to the story!
>
> I hope my poor 1982 VW Rabbit will forgive me for what I have
poured
> in it's tank.
>
> My qustions are these, if anyone would be so kind to shine light
on
> my perplexion: I have made a batch of biodiesel that reacts this
way
> to the water and shake test: After about 15 minutes, I have a
layer
> of opaque, yellow biodiesel (I am assuming) on top and some milky,
> turbid water on the bottom. In between is a layer (5% of total
> volume?) of what I am assuming to be emulsification.
>
> 1) Why is the biodiesel opaque?
> 2) Is this normal? Even in nearly complete biodiesel reactions?
> 3) I need to work on my titration/process, yes?
>
> Related to the washing if biodiesel:
>
> 1) If I am understanding what is being said here, if you have an
> incomplete biodiesel reaction, it will cause soaps. If you wash it
> gently, you can turn this marginal batch of biodiesel into
something
> that will not harm your engine. True or False?

This has not yet been clearly defined, as far as harming the engine
goes, but how's about just not having to "gentle wash" at all and
complete the reaction?

> 2) The great washing debate centers on folks who say you shouldn't
> have to be careful washing, as well-made biodiesel won't emulsify
> anyway. True or False?

From what I understand from what Keith said about it is that the
actual wash technique is not as critical as the completed reaction
to start with. Then should on ewish to use pump or bubble the end
result is still good fuel, although the controversy seems to be in
oxidisation in long term storage using the air in bubbling, whereas
this does not occur with pump washing. (Todd ?)

> 3)Mist washing is more gentle than bubble washing, which is more
> gently that agitation and/or recirculating pumps? Have I got that
> one right?

Again, this subject had been covered before and it goes to
camouflage an incomplete reaction if it needs to be handled with
such kid gloves, or so that is the way I understand it.

> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with some advice
and
> insight.

I do what I can with the limited knowledge I have :)

> Stay Safe,

You too.
> Matt

L.