Hey all,

   Ran the "Blender Batch" yesterday and came away with a puzzling
result.  I've been pouring over the archives for a while and have come
up short of answers.  The best input yet is from Todd:

"Should you ever find the lesser volume layer on top after the
reaction, you
will know that you did not use enough catalyst to overcome the amount free
fatty acids in the feedstock. In such an instance, your catalyst
simply made
soap and the unused alcohol is resting on top of the oil.

There's a remedy for this error, but it's unimportant until it happens."

Details for my Blender Batch are:

Sodium Hydroxide (3.5g) and Methanol (200ml) mixed in a HDPE
container, agitated with a hand blender for about 15 minutes.  1 Litre
of store-bought canola raised to 140F then poured into a 4 Litre tough
glass jar with narrowing mouth.  Methoxide added.  Then I agitated the
batch with a hand blender for 15 minutes straight.  The mixture
stratified into 2 distinct layers - Brown viscous substance on the
bottom (glycerin?) and a very light golden substance on the top.  The
brown layer was about 15% by volume.  We thought we had biodiesel on
our hands.  Yet, in the morning (after sitting for about 8 hours), a
very thin dark golden layer formed on the top.  It's a very thin
layer.  Furthermore, when I took the cap off of the jar this morning
(jar had been in direct sunlight for hours), the fumes blew the cap
out of my hand.  I took a bit of toilet paper and absorbed a bit of
the substance on top, then took a match to it - and it LIT OFF.
Furthermore, there is now a small island of whitish stuff forming at
the very bottom (unreacted lye?).

Did I not agitate long enough?  Was the methoxide not blended well
enough?  Did I form free fatty's by heating the oil too much?  But
wouldn't free fatty's sit under the BD (or unreacted oil) or mix with it?

Todd, you mentioned that there was a remedy for this situation.  Now
might be a good time.

All the best,

Joey Hundert