Hi, Brian,

You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about TDIs at
www.tdiclub.com.  I got some good tips there.

Changes I have made to my car:

1.  Made a drag-reducing "wing". I can send a picture.  It increases mileage
by 3 mpg.
2.  Reset the EGA code.  See www.tdiclub.com, FAQs for instructions.  Effect
unknown.
3.  Raised tire pressure to about 33 cold, 38 hot.  Probably adds another 1
mpg.
4.  I usually drive on the highway at a steady (on cruise control) 62 to 65
miles per hour.  This is the most important "change."  Adjusting speed gives
the following results:

    Summer mileage, no wing, constant speed on I-80 Tooele to Wendover, UT,
Flying J fuel
    2003 VW New Beetle TDI diesel

`    60 mph        58.2 mph
     65 mph        57.1 mph
     70 mph        51.1 mph
     75 mph        46.4 mph
     80 mph        42.7 mph

Numbers in the table are uncorrected for gauge errors.  Miles traveled per
test, about 197 miles, was read from the trip meter; this reads about 1% low.
Speed is the speedometer reading, which is about 3% high.  Tank is filled just
before and after test run, which takes about three hours. Tank vent valve is
held open during filling, and I fill to about one inch from top.  Fuel
measurements are thought to be repeatable to 0.05 gallon (no temperature
correction).
Results are collected on days with no wind or rain.

You can see that, if the latest result holds true, then Phillips summer
diesel is outperforming Flying J diesel by about 3 mpg.

Ernie Rogers

Brian asked,

Ernie,

Have you made any modifications to your TDI to acheive these
results.  I have an '03 Beetle TDI, and the best I have been able to
manage so far is 51.2 mpg.  If there is a way to improve on this,
please share.

Brian