--- Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > --- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > 1. Fuel purchased yesterday in Edmonton (Shell) gave 56 miles per
> gallon.
> > 2. BUT fuel purchased today in Idaho Falls (Phillips, from Utah
> refinery)
> > gave 63 miles per gallon.  The difference here is much larger than
> the expected
> > variation due to systematic or random errors.

I am skeptical as to whether one fill up can really give you an
accurate answer, as it will vary anyway according to exactly how you
drive, prevailing wind velocity, ambient temperature and possibly
humidity among other factors. I normally see a significant variability
in my fuel economy. I suspect the random errors are larger than you
imagine. How did you measure it?

Having said that, I would expect there to be differences in economy
from different suppliers (even from the same supplier on different
occasions), so a more long-term measurement would undoubtedly pick up
any trend.

> Have you made any modifications to your TDI to acheive these
> results.  I have an '03 Beetle TDI, and the best I have been able to
> manage so far is 51.2 mpg.  If there is a way to improve on this,
> please share.

I think there is also a natural variability between supposedly
identical vehicles - due to manufacturing tolerances in the engine,
different amounts of engine wear, tyre wear and pressure, type of
lubricating oil used and so forth.

But probably the biggest difference is in driving style. When I measure
my fuel economy (over a full tank) I instinctively know if it's going
to be good or bad, according to how I've driven and also the types of
journey I've made. For example I typically get 45mpg but it is normally
anywhere between 40 and 50.

Donald

=====
--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com