Thanks Matt. I'm anxious to see how this will do when mixed. You're the second
list member that has advised me of the higher cetane rating.

Gregg

Matt Pozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I realise that mostly no where else cooks in animal fats, but here is
Australia they use beef tallow. This has a very high beta carotene
levels due to the feed the animals eat, grass, this makes lovely
burgundy coloured biodiesel which like shorteneing has a higher cetane
rating due to the large amount of embodied energy in the animals fat.
Saturated fats are good for fuel not for people.

Just do not try it outside of a temperate climate, it gels at quite a
high temperature.

The moral of this story is that not all biodiesel is straw coloured!

Matt

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "gregg2560" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss regarding the colour of my latest batch of
> biodiesel. It is a medium amber rather than pale straw yellow. This
> particular batch went through about 8 washes. The water in the first
> one or two was quite milky as expected, & washes 3 - 6 got
> increasingly clear, the last 2 looked like clean water. I checked
> the pH & it was 6.8 to 7.2. I also did the shake test, the BD &
> water separated within 30 - 45 minutes. The only thing I can think
> of is that this batch was made from vegetable shortening rather than
> oil. I'm wondering if maybe I should run it back through the process
> (Aleks Kac Method).
>
> As always, any help, advice, or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gregg Davidson

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT