We are deep in the dog days o' summer and quickly approaching the
Fundamentalist Love-In . . . uh, I mean Republican National Convention
scheduled for New York City next week. Ruckus has been busy working to
support the voices of New Yorkers who are repulsed by the Republicans'
naked attempt to capitalize on their pain. Crazy how a gaggle of
conquistadors can bring the best out in New York isn't it?
I know that everyone with a brain is deeply concerned about what kind of
images will come out of NYC during the convention. Let's be frank. It is
almost inevitable that there will be some lefty goofballs in the streets
doing their best to alienate everyone. And if they are only partially
successful, there's sure to be right-wing psychos dressed as left-wing
idiots out there to finish the job. But does that mean we stay away and
cry about how unfair the world is and how Fox News is setting us up
again? Or will we begin to act like the fully leveraged progressive
movement we'd like to be someday and do something proactive?
There is an amazing array of community based organizations, activists,
artists, and ordinary citizens planning creative demonstrations. Many are
explicitly family friendly, culturally engaging, and strategically
targeted to inspire fence-sitters to join in the game of participatory
democracy. The more we can build the bandwidth of folks occupying the
moral high ground (i.e. New Yorkers) the better. We NEED your financial
support to give them the unique kind of assistance that only Ruckus can
(click here).
We are focusing our efforts on four major areas: Communications,
Training, Logistics, and Movement Building.
Communications:
The Hyper-Geeks of Ruckus have been burning the midnight oil to create an
amazing new communications tool for civil society. Utilizing existing
mobile to mobile text messaging technology (SMS) and a nerve center full
of wired wonks we will be providing anyone with a cell phone real time
updates on events unfolding in NYC. Folks will be able to join our
communications loop online or by sending a simple text message from their
phones in the streets. Organizations like our allies from Code Pink will
be able to create their own communications loop to help the multitudes of
audacious ladies in pink coordinate their efforts.
Just imagine the possibility of thousands and thousands of citizen
activists being able to work in concert with one another. ("Hey let's all
meet in Central Park.") Think what the strategic application of this
technology could mean for witnessing the vote come Election Day. They're
still planning on letting us vote this November aren't they? **More on
this tool later**
Training:
We've also got the varsity team of media and messaging trainers headed
towards the Big Apple. We're already working with our NYC allies to
provide dynamic trainings in Banner Making, Public Speaking, Media 101,
Advanced Media, Nonviolence, Conflict De-escalation, Political
Performance (Dancing, Leading Chants, Rhythm and Music), and Art in
Action. This is New York baby! The center of the artistic universe has to
greet the Republicans with a mind-blowing cultural phenomenon!
Logistics:
Ruckus Logistics geeks will also be in full effect during the RNC. We'll
have our East Coast Kitchen cranking out the tasty fare to feed the body
of the movement (once we've fed the mind and soul). Our Engineers are in
town to build mobile sound systems, shelters for poor peoples
encampments, and free bicycles for organizing efforts.
Movement Building:
Last month Ruckus co-hosted "New York Uniting" (New Palz, NY), a
movement-building retreat for scores of organizers from NYC with dozens
of community-based organizations in attendance. Many of the participating
groups are part of the Still We Rise Coalition (link) which is sponsoring
the Poor Peoples March on Monday, May 30th. Ruckus will be helping with
outreach, logistics, media, production, and communications support.
Also, Ruckus is supporting the efforts of SIAFU, a coalition of Bay Area
organizers of color who will be rolling into NYC to provide support and
build bridges with their counterparts in "The City".

The difficult situation that the US is in can not be solved by waging
more wars. The violence done in our name generates more violence
and hatred against us. The solution arises from changing our attitudes
about other people. We need to stop the theft of their resources and
labor and begin to treat them with respect and dignity. RossCannon