Hi All,

You might want to get a copy of Five Acres and Independence by M. G. Kains. It was written in the 1940's and is sort of considered the "bible" of small scale farming. My copy is packed away, but if I remember correctly (and I may not) it has info on building a root cellar and a ice house amongst other things.

It has been reprinted many times and is still available for a reasonable price.

Mickey

"Five acres and independence: a practical guide to the selection and management of the small farm" by Maurice Grenville Kains, 1935, 1973, Dover Publications, ISBN 0486209741 Another great back-to-the-land classic on the basics of self-sufficient farming, covers all aspects of making a small acreage profitable and livable. First published in 1935, still in demand and still in print. Costing information and some other details are out of date now, but the principles remain intact -- eg, the chapter on "Tried and True Ways to Fail". From Powell's Books:
http://www.powells.com/biblio/46600-46800/0486209741.html
From Lehman's Non-electric Catalog:
http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=12426 &prrfnbr=14484&FROM_CAT_REF=12822

Very nice book, Kains was a nice man. His other book, or one of them, Profitable Poultry Production by M. G. Kains, is in our online library, here:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#ppp

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever