Thank you Ron for your reply.  I read a news article at
 one of your links that has been mentioned here before about
 US Corn-Ethanol averaging 67% net energy according to a recent
 US gov't report upping it from 34% previously or was it 36%.
 Additional information is welcomed.

 Net Energy Value of Ethanol Increases, Says USDA
 Jun 10, 2004
 Newswire, National Corn Growers Association
 http://www.cornandsoybeandigest.com/news/EthanolValue/

 Preliminary findings of a new study on the net energy balance of ethanol
 indicate ethanol produces 67% more energy than it takes to generate.
 The study, "The 2001 Net Energy Balance of Corn-Ethanol," was presented
 at the Corn Utilization and Technology Conference (CUTC) by
 Hosein Shapouri, a USDA economist.

 Shapouri said his research proves ethanol undoubtedly has a
 positive energy balance, even before subtracting the energy
 allocated to coproducts. In a 1996 study, Shapouri calculated
 the net energy balance of ethanol at 36%, up from 24% in 1991.
 Technological advances in crop production and the ethanol plant
 have helped to reduce the amount of energy required to produce
 ethanol, he said.

 "Corn yields per acre have increased, fertilizer is more
 energy efficient and ethanol plants are more efficient,"
 Shapouri said. "So the net energy value of corn-ethanol
 improves."

 According to Shapouriās research,
 the wet-milling process produces a net energy value of 57%,
 while dry-milled ethanol produces 77% more energy
 than it takes to produce.

 Shapouriās research discredits the work of Dr. David Pimentel,
 who in 2003 mistakenly concluded that ethanol takes more energy to
 produce than it generates. "This (research), unlike the Dr. Pimentel
 report in 2003, is based on straightforward methodology and
 highly regarded quality data," Shapouri said. Numerous economists
 have questioned the validity of Pimentelās findings, arguing that
 he uses outdated data in his methodology.

 Shapouri said one objective of the study was to improve the quality
 of data and estimation methodology used in past studies. For the
 newest study, USDA exhaustively surveyed corn farmers and ethanol
 plants and used new process simulation programs to allocate energy.

 "Our data is crystal clear," Shapouri said. "We used a USDA corn
 survey and we also used a survey of ethanol plants, so you can see
 the data from the first step of the process all the way until
 ethanol goes into the tank of your car."

 And as technology continues to improve, so will the energy value of
 ethanol, Shapouri says. Higher yields, more energy efficient inputs
 and improved technologies in ethanol plants will drive the energy
 balance of ethanol even higher, he said.

 "We believe the net energy balance is going to increase because of
 technology in corn production and technology in ethanol," he said.
 "The research proves this."
 http://www.cornandsoybeandigest.com/news/EthanolValue/

 RESULTS
    All energy inputs used in the production of ethanol is adjusted for
 energy efficiencies developed by GREET model. The estimated energy
efficiencies are
 for gasoline (80.5 percent), diesel fuel (84.3 percent), LPG (98.9 percent),
 natural gas (94 percent), coal (98 percent), electricity (39.6 percent), and
 transmission loss (1.087 percent). After adjusting the energy inputs by
 these energy efficiencies, the total estimated energy required to
 produce a bushel of corn in 2001 was 49,753 Btu.
    Table 3 summarizes the input energy requirements, by phase of ethanol
production on a
 Btu per gallon basis (LHV) for 2001, without byproduct credits. Energy
estimates are
 provided for both dry- and wet-milling as well as industry average. In each
case, corn
 ethanol has a positive energy balance, even before subtracting the energy
allocated to
 byproducts.
    Table 4 presents the final net energy balance of corn ethanol adjusted for
byproducts.
 The net energy balance estimate for corn ethanol produced from wet-milling is
27,729
 Btu per gallon, the net energy balance estimate for dry-milling is 33,196 Btu
per gallon,
 and the weighted average is 30,528 Btu per gallon. The energy ratio is 1.57
and 1.77 for
 wet- and dry-milling, respectively, and the weighted average energy ratio is
1.67.
 21Kb, 6 page PDF
http://www.bioproducts-bioenergy.gov/pdfs/net%20energy%20balance.pdf

 National Corn Growers Association
 NCGA Responds to Exxon Chair's Misconceptions on Net Energy Balance of Ethanol

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-11-2004/0002191653&EDATE=