----- Original Message -----
From: "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Overdoing the Catalyst

> I don't know how you're coming up with the guarantee that it will
solidify, especially if it hasn't already.

Actually I do not necessarily view it as a "guarentee" although my reactor
sleeps in s non-winterized shed and the night temps are on the way down
right now and it is the small amount in the exposed plumbing that may harden
if any at all, which was exactly the case today after I went to drain the
glycerine. It had geled in the plumbing just out of the reactor and before
the isolation valve, so a little heat on the inside and some gentle tapping
with a wrench on the plumbing to cause some vibration and it loosened right
up.

> The time window of these posts is days broader than the time it takes for
> reaction to take place, whether it be transesterification or
saponification.
> If you really screwed up you'd know it in 24 hours or less. The
> transesterification takes only a fraction of that time.

It seems that it did not go south on me, although that is still a
preliminary report :)

> If, as you imply, the reaction is still liquid, then you ended up with
> biodiesel with perhaps a higher fraction of soap. Give it a full 24-48
hours
> for the glyc cocktail to settle and then conduct two very gentle washes
that
> amount only to a "light swirl" to prevent the excess soaps from binding up
as little fuel as possible.

Ah, I love it when I come to right conclusion and have it confirmed by
people with more experience than I.

Thanks for your help Todd.

Luc