Carbon trading of course is just a scam to allow you to buy polluting rights
from others while pretending everyone has a right to pollute just a little.

Carbon trading is not a good thing!

----- Original Message -----
From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Fwd: Kyoto clears last hurdle / Scientists against
Bush/ U.S. can end oil use

Russia to ratify Kyoto treaty

 Putin joins fight against climate change, leaving Bush
 isolated and US cut out of carbon trading market

 Paul Brown, environment correspondent
 Oct 1, 2004
 The Guardian
 http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,2763,1317289,00.html

 Politicians, industry leaders and environment groups across the
 world welcomed the news last night that Russia had rejuvenated
 international efforts to combat climate change by ratifying the
 Kyoto protocol.

 President Vladimir Putin's decision isolates the US, and brings
 Russia closer economic and political ties with the European Union.

 The treaty, which commits 30 industrialised countries into legally
 binding greenhouse gas reduction targets, will kick-start a
 multibillion- pound carbon trading market, the transfer of clean
 technologies to developing countries and promote joint ventures
 with countries in the former Soviet bloc. It is also a blow to
 President George Bush who repudiated the treaty on taking office
 and has repeatedly tried to persuade Mr Putin to do the same.

 Russia's move means that US business will be cut out of the new
 carbon trading markets which have already been set up in London.
 Countries and companies in the scheme have targets to cut their
 carbon dioxide emissions. If they exceed their targets they will be
 able to sell the extra carbon "saved" to other countries or companies
 which have failed to do so. The market is expected to be worth tens
 of billions of pounds a year.

 Carbon trading and incentives to install renewables and other clean
 technologies in the treaty gives European companies a financial
 advantage in joint trading agreements with former Eastern bloc and
 developing countries.

 Because of the collapse of Russia's economy in the early 1990s,
 London traders estimated yesterday that Mr Putin's government has
 $10bn (about £5.5bn) of carbon credits to sell on the international
 markets to countries which cannot meet their own targets.

 A flurry of international excitement about Kyoto began yesterday after
 the Russian cabinet announced that it had prepared the papers to
 ratify the treaty and was forwarding them to the Russian parliament,
 or Duma, for ratification. Since Mr Putin's United Russia party
 controls two-thirds of the Duma, and he directed the cabinet to act,
 ratification is seen as a virtual certainty.

 The Kyoto protocol, negotiated in 1997, ties those countries of the
 industrialised world which have signed up to it into carbon dioxide
 reductions of around 5% on 1990 levels.

 Scientists say that cuts of 60% are needed across the world to avoid
 runaway climate change, mass extinctions and catastrophic sea
 level rise.

 However, the treaty was only seen as a first step, and when the first
 cuts are implemented by 2010 the process is expected to continue,
 setting tougher targets for 2020.

 Making a major speech on climate change two weeks ago, Tony
 Blair emphasised the need to begin thinking beyond 2010 to bring
 China and India into the process of reducing greenhouse gases. He
 has already said he will make climate change his priority for his
 presidency of the G8 next year.

 The executive secretary of the UN Climate Change Convention, Joke
 Waller-Hunter, said: "President Putin has given an inspiring signal
 to the international community. By giving industry, local authorities
 and consumers incentives to take action on climate change, Russia
 and the 29 other industrialised countries that have joined the
 protocol will set themselves on a path to greater economic
 efficiency."

 Margaret Beckett, the environment secretary, described it as "a
 crucial step forward". As far as the US was concerned it "opened up
 a different vista. The US has long since assumed that Kyoto was
 dead but it is not. There will be voices in US industry saying 'we are
 missing out here'. It is early to say where this will lead but this will
 make a considerable difference."

 The protocol is a legally binding addition to the 1992 climate change
 convention. The EU as a whole is committed to an 8% reduction on
 greenhouse gas emissions on 1990 levels by 2010 and is
 struggling to reach the target. Some countries will have to buy in
 carbon from countries such as Russia which have credits to spare.

 The UK, which has a 12.5% reduction target, is on course to exceed
 this by about 3% but is unlikely to sell any spare carbon, saving up
 any extra credits for the next negotiating period to 2020.