USA. If I am not mistaken they are from the hearts of the corn as opposed to wheat hearts called cream of wheat in many places. The "instant" variety is for people who do not want to actually cook them :) something like oatmeal (porridge). They are traditionally served with butter and pepper (wouldn't want it to be without fat and toxins now would you?) However, we make them the old fashioned way, we cook them for about 15 minutes or so and once done serve with honey (the raw unfiltered kind) and some apple sauce in the middle and for a more adventuresome go of it a little yogurt swirled is also nice.
And that is grits ! Ha!

Luc
----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] RE: Fire ants wasZXZX

Old post...

Date:    Mon, 17 Aug 1998 03:59:55 +0800
From:    Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re fire ants

Hi there

Vera wrote:

<We have had great success using instant grits on fire ant mounds.  We
just sprinkle some grits on the mound (never measured how much).
Apparently when the ants drink, the grits swell up and ants die.

Works for us.

Vera
Becoming more self-sufficient and God-dependent.>

Fire ants I know about, or at least the local variety - small, vicious,
completely unreasonable, and lots of back-up! They don't make mounds here
but that doesn't stop them making life impossible. I know you can kill them
with fermented citrus peels, though they always come back of course. But
what exactly are instant grits?

Keith Addison
Lantau Island
Hong Kong