Yes, but if one were to set up a hydrogen system at one's home using the same solar panels(or more) and hydrogen unit and then stock the hydrogen tanks of the truck, still equiped with it's own system, wouldn't that make it run just like any other ?

Luc

The whole point of the project is to demonstrate a production to end use system using hydrogen as an energy carrier. The photovoltaic panels carried onboard cannot produce enough current during an entire day to run the truck more than a few miles, but at least they demonstrate that it IS possible to run a vehicle without fossil inputs.

You're right that the solar panels could be installed off the vehicle, and the subsequent gas production compressed and used onboard the truck in a conventional manner. I think in certain places it will soon be economically justifiable to use grid power for that purpose. Right now, for instance, I'm paying over $1.00 per liter for premium gasoline. Once it hits $1.10 per liter, the cost for generating and compressing hydrogen from the local grid (at 6 cents per kWh) will be equal.

This does not address the point of efficiency, however. By the time I've paid for the engine conversion equipment, the electrolyzer and compressor, I could have easily converted my truck to battery electric for the same money. Once this has occurred, the overwhelming efficiency of electric drive significantly reduces the need for grid power and the overall cost of operation per kilometer.

The American Hydrogen Association headquarters is located in Tempe, Arizona. Several teachers from local schools are members who encourage their students to engage in projects of this nature. I once visited a high school down there and saw a direct injected hydrogen conversion on a small block Chevrolet that intrigued me greatly. Since then, however, I have lost much of my enthusiasm for hydrogen as an energy carrier. On the surface, the idea that hydrogen can be generated from "clean" electricity and burned in a conventional car or truck engine without pollution looks appealing. The reality of its problems and expense dulls this fine gloss over time.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>