Don,

I'm in the Midwest of the US.  I'm currently driving my first diesel, an
03 Beetle TDI which currently has about 65,000 miles.  I typically buy B2,
which is the only blend available locally at this point.  I am currently
in central Indiana, with a move to northern CA planned around the first of
the year.  My prior car was a gas 2000 Beetle, which I gave to my son at
95,000 and still has its original exhaust at about 110,000.  Prior to that
were two Volvos, a '94 940 and '95 850, both of which went over 100,000
with the original exhaust.

My perception is that the manufacturers are using better materials now
that they were when I first started driving.  I don't know how many days I
spent in muffler shops in my youth, but I haven't seen the inside of one
for quite a while at this point.

Brian