From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Keith Addison
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 3:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Methane Digester

Hello Tim

>I was curious to know if anyone has any first
hand
>experience with Methane Digesters.

A project for this winter for us. I guess as of
now the answer would
be yes, some.

>And if so, what
>size farm operation would be a minimum for
>generating a useful amount of gas?

Useful for what? Fry says in his book (below) that
a tractor tyre
biogas digester will produce gas from very little
chicken manure, but
it'll only give you enough gas for 20 minutes a
day - but that's
enough to cook a meal.

>Keeping in mind
>that much of my small farm manure is currently
>used in composting and I wouldn't sacrifice that.

Indeed not, and that's what's kept us from doing
biogas up to now.

>However, over the next few years I will be
>increasing the amount of livestock. In addition,
>what sort of environmental impact might this
have?

It needn't have any. Just don't believe them when
they say the sludge
is a good fertiliser! If you're a composter you'll
know why it isn't,
even if it does contain some N, P, and K.

There are some useful resources in our Biofuels
library which should
give you some ideas:

Methane Digesters For Fuel Gas and Fertilizer --
With Complete
Instructions For Two Working Models
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#m
ethanefry

Nepal Biogas Plant -- Construction Manual
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#n
epgas

Jean Pain: France's King of Green Gold
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#p
ain

When we build a unit this winter, or hopefully
before, we'll make a
new section on biogas at our website, with a lot
of resources. I've
been threatening to do this for some time. It'll
happen when it does.

Meanwhile there's some interesting stuff in the
archives. Try these:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/37307/
Fwd: Anaerobic digestion of oil cake

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/37311/
Fwd: Anaerobic digestion of oil cake - more

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/33550/
Biogas was Rejoining list with a question

HTH

Best

Keith