organisation for you.<-please read with extreme sarcasm.
The New York Times was one of the leaders in pushing for the illegal and immoral invasion of sovereign Iraq along with The Washington Post, and have, as such, relinquished any semblance of unbiased status. Their subsequent refusal to reverse direction after that the lie was made obviouslyclear is yet another indicator tha their position was not one based upon an "innocent" mistake from the disinformation brought out by the Office of Special Plans headed by the Zionist cabal in Washington. It was intentional and vicious. Intended to sway public opinion into supporting what they knew was a crime against humanity. These so-called news sources have to be taken with much more than a grain of salt whenever politically sensitive subjects are being "covered" by them. They have proven themselves to be nothing but propaganda arms for the US administration, not true and honest journalists, of which there are many many more outside the US mainstream than within it.

Luc
----- Original Message ----- From: "fox mulder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel]Beaten Afgan bride

Source: The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/06/opinion/06kris.html?oref=login
Beaten Afghan Brides
By Nicholas D. Kristof
The New York Times

Wednesday 06 October 2004

Kabul - I had an inspiration about where Osama bin
Laden might be hiding. But when I visited the women's
detention center in Kabul, there was no sign of him.

I did meet Ellaha, a bold 19-year-old prisoner who
startled me by greeting me in English. (Like many
Afghans, she uses only one name.) She had been
attending college as a refugee in Iran when her family
pulled her out, alarmed that education might corrupt a
young lady's morals.

Her family returned to Afghanistan, and she found
work in a U.S. construction company, where her bosses
were so impressed that they began arranging a
scholarship for her to go to Canada to study.

That horrified her family because the patriarchs
had decided that she would marry her cousin. "I didn't
agree to marry him," she told me through an
interpreter, "because he is not educated and I don't
like his job - he is a butcher. Plus, he's three years
younger than me."

"When it was almost time for me to go to Canada,
and I was asking about flights," she added, "they tied
me up and locked me in a room. It was in my uncle's
house. My father said, 'O.K., beat her.' I'd never
been beaten like that in all my life. My uncle and
cousins were all beating me.... They broke my head,
and I was bleeding."

Ms. Ellaha's younger sister, who had been pledged
to another cousin, was facing the same treatment.
After a week of being tied up, the two sisters agreed
to marry their cousins.

"So we went home," Ms. Ellaha added, "and
escaped."

The two sisters moved into a cheap guesthouse as
they prepared to flee Afghanistan. But their family
learned where they were hiding, and the police came to
arrest them.

On what charge?

"It's because their lives were in danger," said
Rana, the head of the detention center. Ms. Ellaha
agrees that her family was pretty close to killing
her. The sister is apparently back home, but I was not
allowed to interview her.

The police subjected Ms. Ellaha to a mandatory
virginity test. Fortunately, her hymen was intact, or
she would have faced a prison sentence.

Now she worries that she will be released into her
family's custody and then forced to marry her cousin.
If that happens, she told me, "I will kill myself."

The entire jail is a kaleidoscope of woe. It's
been two years since President Bush declared that in
Afghanistan, "Today, women are free." But that's news
to the inmates.

Nazilah, 17, had been married to an old man with
tuberculosis who beat her - she was his second wife.
She ran away and was picked up by the police. Now the
authorities are figuring out whether they can return
her to her husband's family without getting her
killed.

Then there is Sohailla, 18, who says she was
kidnapped for three days by the family of a young man
who wanted to marry her (the police suspect that she
went to his house voluntarily). The police subjected
her to a virginity test; after she failed, she got a
three-year sentence for fornication.

Inequality is so deeply embedded in this society
that there are no easy solutions. In a new opinion
poll in Afghanistan, 87 percent of those surveyed said
women needed to ask their husbands' permission to
vote. There was little difference in the answers of
men and women.

The best route to change is new schools, new
clinics and more economic opportunity - and those
steps are just what the lack of security is blocking
in much of southern Afghanistan, the most traditional
part of the country. Mr. Bush urgently needs to
bolster security in rural areas in the south, so
reconstruction projects can go ahead there. The
liberation of Afghanistan from the Taliban was
crucial, but only a first step.

If this sounds like a gloomy assessment, it was
reinforced when I located Ms. Ellaha's father, Said
Jamil, a carpenter, and spoke to him on the street in
his Kabul neighborhood. He told me that he was
arranging for his daughter to be released to him - but
he vowed that he would no longer allow her to "be so
free."

He did promise me that he would not beat Ms.
Ellaha or force her to marry her cousin. I asked him
to show mercy toward his daughter, but I have a bad
feeling about what lies ahead.

This is how "women are free" in Afghanistan.