This may not be something new, but recently I discovered genetically modified (GM) soybean cooking oils made its way to Walmart shelf in China.

It was quite a surprise for me to learn that most of the major vegetable oil brand names in China are using imported GM soybeans in their mixed vegetable oil and pure soybean oil. Some of the mixed vegetable oil contains GM canola too.

Here is a website by greenpeace on GM soybean in China.
http://activism.greenpeace.org/cyberwall/index_e.php

What will be the implication of this to the ecology?
If we are promoting biofuel, and the biofuel comes from GM crops, aren't we contributing to spur the demand for more GM crops?
Should we ask for GM labels on biofuel as well?

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Feini