Hi John ;

 John Mullan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cool.  This is the first time I've heard these
> things explained this way.
>
> Can I ask:  Just what is the equivilent description
> of centrifugal force?
> Does it apply to me spinning a pail of water such
> that the water doesn't
> fall out?
>
> Just satifying my thirst for knowledge :-)

Ask away.  No problem.  I usually ponder things like
this until they make sense.  Makes some people crazy.

Hmm. Let's see.  Let's say you contruct a metal frame
with a bucket of water hanging like a swing in the
center.  The bucket is free to swing any way it wants
to.  Now we mount this frame and swinging bucket of
water on a rocket sled.

If we accelerate the rocket sled at g (9.8m/sec2), the
bucket will swing towards the back of the sled at a 45
degree angle.  If we do it smoothly, no water will
spill out.  Other rates of acceleration will produce
other angles of swing, higher acceleration will swing
more, lower accelertations will swing less.  The
amount of swing would be proportional to the ratio of
sled acceleration to g.  If we really accelerate the
sled at a very high rate, the bucket will swing out
almost to a horizontal position and no water will
spill.

No one would call this centrifugal force, right?  But
the bucket wants to remain stationary, and so resists
the acceleration caused by the rocket sled.  No one
would call this centifugal force.

Now if we swing the bucket around us in a circle and
we accelerate the bucket at a rate of g (same
9.8m/sec2), the same thing will happen, ie. the bucket
will swing out at a 45 degree angle and no water will
spill.  The string is putting a force on the bucket
towards the center of the circle in the same way as
the rocket sled was putting a force on the bucket
towards the front of the sled  The bucket in turn is
putting a force on the water, exactly as in the rocket
sled example.  The only difference is that the force
of circular acceleration is at RIGHT ANGLES to the
direction of motion.  The bucket wants to continue in
a straight line, and the string is putting a force on
the bucket at right angle to its direction.  This
results in changing direction rather than changing
speed.  The force of acceleration in the rocket sled
example is ALONG (parallel to) the direction of
motion.  This results in changing speed rather than
changing direction.  However, both are accelerations.

If there was such a thing as centrifugal force, it
would also describe the rocket sled example.  There is
no such thing.

Hope we haven't gotten too far off topic.

Best Regards,

Peter G.
Thailand