Was: Methanol from Trees

You are correct, Shashi.  This discussion began when I mentioned
utilizing forest slash that is left to rot in huge piles that don't
easily or naturally degrade due to the nature of the thinning.  My
friends on a Washington State reservation mentioned that their slash is
often piled ten stories high.  Well, that can be made into fuel and I
prefer fuel ethanol over methanol.  One of the "haulers" said that now
the thinning people are sometimes spraying mulch made from the slash on
the forest floor and this can be good if the thickness is not
ridiculous.  He mentioned that the new "pad" of mulch is sometimes
twelve or more inches thick.  Now that may be a bit too unnatural.
Luckily, we will be working with seasoned forest service employees who
have both a background, an education, and a desire to proceed prudently.
Furthermore, please recall that a neighbor made one gallon of fuel
ethanol from five cactus leaf pads.  To me this is extraordinary!  The
waste lands can be productive.  You do not need to kill the cactus to
harvest the leaves.  Pruning is a potential harvesting technique.  There
are many fast growing plants that are ideal for fuels.  Cattail rhizomes
are one of the most dynamic.  1000 gallons of ethanol per acre is
phenomenal and that's what my associate's university research
documented.

Your cheer-leader for fuel ethanol
Peggy

Subject: [Biofuel] Methanol From Trees

Dear Friends,
Why should we disturb the forest for the production of
Methanol? Why cant we use the millions of acres of  wasteland lying
vacant ?I think we can grow millions of
hardy and usefully trees like Pongamia,Neem,Tamrind and bushes like
Jatropha,we should avoid monoculture. In South India I have seen these
trees and bushes growing even in places where the rainfall is below
400mm  this will be a better thing to produce methanol

Regards,
Shashi Kumar.