is more complete so i am going to save it :)
Luc
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Methanol Safety of Dispensing from 55 Gal. Drumsto carboy safely

Drum in upright position: remove the small cap and fit a ball valve
(preferably teflon inner husing) with a hose connector on the other side
into the threads, sealing with teflon tape. Lay the drum flat on a stand
(make of wood, or if enough skilled weld of steel tubes). Takes two quite
strong chaps. Rotate the drum in suitable position (valve at bottom),
attach hose to connector with hose clamp and ground drum. Put hose into
carboy, open ball valve. After a few litres come out, flow stops, close
ball valve, grab drum cap spanner, crack open the big cap and bleed some
air in. Continue filling carboy. Once about 35 litres of meths is out,
crack open big cap before transferring, close after finished (meths level
is now lower than big cap). Cheap, safe. You should be able to get a ball
valve and barbed hose connectors, hoses etc. at your home improvement
store, just take a small cap with you for size reference.

Cheers, Aleks

After 11 months of research of biodiesel and pondering methanol safety, I
have not come across any recent scenarios of dispensing methanol from a 55
gal metal drum to a BD methoxide processor (carboy) with only one
exception.
(On Journey to Forever's site)
One chap using a 55 gal poly drum of methanol with a special bung cap
fitted with a tire valve plug /shaft.

The listed method is from memory, but I believe it is ...Applying
compressed air to the tire plug will create pressure within the drum to
exhaust pressured output (methanol) or pump methanol to the methoxide
container etc.

To purchase a 55 gal. drum or drums of methanol is a vast saving compared
to buying meth. in 5 gal pails here on the northeast coast of the US.
Methanol is your most expensive raw material when it comes to biodiesel
production.  My first question is 1.)  How to dispense the Methanol from a
55 gal drum to my carboy safely using approved drum equipment?  Model
number of hand pumps helps to include with reply!! etc.?

How do you ground the drum?
I can make a ground 55 gal drum clamp w/wire and ground it to the earth.
-Solved

Method of delivery?
Not sure how the chap purchased the Methanol in a poly drum, or maybe he
transferred it, since methanol should most likely be sold in a metal
drums?.

2.)Question is: Can't find a rated 55 gal. drum pump (hand) to use for
methanol that is explosive proof and is rated for methanol. Any help

Thank you,
Kevin Shea