This is what one those creatures looks like:
http://oem.overnightautoparts.com/parts/overnightautoparts/viewImage.jsp?image=img.overnightautoparts.com/live/E101087062MEY.JPG

I recommend that anyone with a Benz get it removed or remove the screen part
and install a second primary filter before the pump. Had I had that option that
is what I would have done.
It can save you a whack of trouble once the BD does it's job in cleaning out
the tank, lines and pump of all that nice residual dino dust.
When the MB people removed mine they said it was completely gunked up, so I
replced it and then went ahead and did the fuel lines too. They wouldn't
by-pass the tank filter saying something about warranty on the parts ...
The screen filter screws into the tank and the fuel line screws into the
filter, so when the filter clogs, no fuel, car dies. By adding a secondary
primary right before the pump you move the problem to where you can get at it
on the side of the road instead of after you have paid the towing fees and had
someone hoist the car and then do what you would have done, replace the filter.
Luc