Luc
PS:if they don't have internet see below :) :)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: Thank You - [Biofuel] Fallujah 101: A history lesson aboutthe town we are currently destroying

Hello Phillip

Dear Keith,

Thank you for the excellent history leasson.

You're most welcome, glad you like it.

And once
again thank you for hosting this listserv.

You're most welcome once again!

Am I
allowed to forward your article to my peers? Or cut
and paste?

Allowed... well. It's perhaps a touchy question and there's no clear answer to it. It's copyright material. Strictly speaking, you should ask the permission of the copyright holder, and so should I have done. I'm not at all against copyright (I own quite a lot of it after all), but the global Internet has made a hopeless mess out of the copyright and intellectual property laws, and WIPA is years behind what commonly happens in daily practice. There are millions of "offenders" every day, and obviously the media and publishers know about it, but I've never seen them taking any action to prevent it. In fact there's a strong case that it helps them much more than hinders them, even where there's a hard-copy print publication involved.

Some sites attach notices like this one from Common Dreams (there's also such a notice at our online libraries at Journey to Forever):

"FAIR USE NOTICE. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner."

So would you or any of your peers happen not to be/reside/work in the US but in India, Holland, Vanuatu or scores of other countries where the laws are different? We get website visitors from 180 countries, and we're not in the US either (though our host is). So that also doesn't make a lot of sense. Nonetheless we all slap on a Fair Use notice and hope for the best, while often stretching what Fair Use actually allows to the limit and perhaps beyond.

What it seems to boil down to is that it's okay as long as there's no money involved, not in any way, not even costs of photocopying and so on, even if it's for educational or charitable purposes, nor even as a freebie giveaway add-on to something you charge money for.

Anyway, Phillip, having bored you half to death with that rather silly proviso, yes, please, go right ahead and forward it to your heart's content, though of course you didn't hear it from me, I'd never tell you such a thing. :-) In such cases always include the full source, credits and url. One other thing - all that makes this auto-line some email programs insert rather unfortunate:

--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

No I didn't, I just forwarded it, Rashid Khalidi wrote it. There's been some confusion here caused by just that, with people being credited for things they only forwarded.

Regards

Keith

Phillip Wolfe
--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1683/
> In These Times
> November 12, 2004
>
> Fallujah 101
>
> A history lesson about the town we are currently
> destroying.
>
> By Rashid Khalidi

<snip>