Declaration of Sustainability

Presented by the Texas Clean Energy Congress

November 15, 2004 Austin, Texas

The Earth is our home and its environment sustains life. We lament that today
human society is using resources and creating waste on Earth at a rate that is
destructive to the health of the planet and all life upon it. Extraction,
production and consumption of energy and their resulting pollution

constitute a large part of this problem. Renewable energy, energy effi ciency
and conservation can

solve many problems and are necessary elements for a sustainable future.

Th e First Texas Clean Energy Congress envisions a Texas responsibly powered by
its sustainable, renewable

energy resource base. Texas shall serve as a model to others in economic
opportunities, advanced

technology, environmental justice, innovative government and respect for future
generations.

We can change our current practices in ways that build a sustainable energy
future and that will create

stronger communities, a healthier environment, and an economy that generates
opportunity for all.

WHEREAS we have a responsibility to current and future generations,

WHEREAS the continued use of nuclear energy and of the limited supply of fossil
fuels is adversely aff ecting

our climate, environment, health and national security,

WHEREAS current energy production and consumption patterns cause inequitable,
unjust and disproportionate

adverse impacts especially on communities and people least able to overcome
them,

WHEREAS the technologies of energy effi ciency and renewable energy are
accessible and continue to advance,

WHEREAS sustainable energy is one part of a holistic approach that encompasses
many other strategies

such as green building, recycling, responsible management of materials and
existing fossil fuel resources,

improved manufacturing processes, design for the environment, and energy effi
cient transportation,

WHEREAS Texas historically has demonstrated leadership in energy technologies
and is uniquely positioned

to extend that leadership into development of clean and sustainable technology
and energy resources,

WHEREAS Texas has the greatest resources in the United States for the
development of renewable energy

and energy effi ciency which are more than suffi cient to meet our current and
future needs,

And WHEREAS the natural environment of Texas is inherently good with its own
value apart from its utility

to people,

BE IT RESOLVED THEREFORE, that this First Texas Clean Energy Congress calls for
Texas to lead in this

historic time, and for Texas to lead in the transition to sustainable energy as
we advance humankind.

We affirm that sustainable energy is energy that is reliable, clean and safe,
and has positive impacts on the

economy, society and the environment.

We affirm that Texas’ energy production and use should contribute positively to
the welfare of all creation.

We affirm that Texas should reduce energy and resource consumption through
conservation and energy

effi ciency.

We affirm that Texas should proactively plan for and provide a robust
infrastructure to maximize the integration

of sustainable energy.

We affirm that Texas should produce and export clean energy and clean energy
technologies.

We affi rm that Texas should lead in the creation of a National Clean Energy
Consortium to research, develop

and deploy cost-eff ective sustainable energy for the electric, industrial,
building, and transportation

sectors.

We call for Texas to create the appropriate policies, programs and business
climate to meet the majority of

its total energy needs with sustainable energy by the year 2020.

We call for our leaders to embrace the future of sustainable energy and make
Texas the leader in sustainable

energy.

We further endorse this Sustainable Energy Bill of Rights for all Texans.

Sustainable Energy

Bill Of Rights

1 All Texans have the right

to live in a sustainable clean environment today and in the future.

2 All Texans have the right

to be protected by energy effi ciency codes and educated about energy savings
options for their homes and businesses.

3 All Texans have the right

to participate in an open public process to determine how energy is produced in
and for their communities.

4 All Texans have the right to purchase clean renewable energy from their
electric provider at prices that

are reasonable and just and nondiscriminatory.

5 All Texans have the right

to produce sustainable energy for on-site use.

6 All Texans who produce renewable energy have the right

to fair compensation for energy sold that refl ects the full value of that
energy.

7 All Texans have the right

to access a means of transportation that runs on sustainable fuels.

8 All Texans have the right

to know the environmental impacts of their ways of life, including purchasing
and energy consumption decisions.

9 All Texans have the right

to enjoy the economic benefi ts to Texas of the expanded use of renewable en-
ergy and energy effi ciency measures.

10 All Texans have the right

to live in communities where sustainability is the guiding principle in devel-
opment and community design.

Agreed to unanimously

and ratified this 15th day of November by the Delegates of the First Texas
Clean Energy Congress

---