Hi,
and here I'd like to disagree :)

Hakan Falk wrote:

> Randal,
>
> US have some great maps on this and If I remember right, the North
> of US have an yearly average of 5kW per sqm. Average means that
> you are going to have storage enough to utilize it. Which will be a
> difficult task. With the 35% efficiency for thermal panels, it means
> that the average collection can be 1.75 kW per sqm. Further south
> it will be more.

The solar energy flow MAXIMUM at the earth orbit is 1kW/m^2.
It can only go down from there. Actually Randal's 636 kW/m^2 at the earth
surface is close to correct.

I think, the numbers you have seen are 5kWh / m^2 * day
(kilowatt HOURS per square meter per day)

<snip>

> At 03:06 AM 11/25/2004, you wrote:
> >I've been working on how to calculate the solar budget for any number of
> >square feet in anyplace. Well, my place.
> >
> >Do people buy that an average figure of 636 watts of solar radiation
> >/sq. meter reach the surface? I have that in an illustration I found,
> >but it does not give the frequency.  Would that be daily?

No Randal, that would not be daily energy budget, that would be energy flow
at any given instant.
You should multiply this by the average number of hours the sun shines per
day
in your location to get the energy, which can be collected from the m^2 per
day (kWh / m^2 * day).

This number of hours the sun shines per day should include the cloudines of
sky in your location

--
Tomas Juknevicius