on 12/1/04 3:55 AM, Keith Addison at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is it perhaps more important when making ethyl esters (as you do)
> than with methyl esters? It didn't seem to make any difference when
> we tried it (with methyl esters).

Absolutely -- the ethanol process uses a LOT more alkali, and is more
prone to poor conversion, incomplete separation, etc. However, I think
if you used methanol with very dirty oil, and a straight base-catalyzed
process, you'd notice much less soap in the wash water after including
a water+glycerine step.

> A deterrent for us and others is that it would rule out subsequent
> use of the glyc by-product as a heating fuel, leaving a disposal
> problem instead of a useful product.

OK -- I never tried to do that....

> Is it possible to separate the by-product into its components (glyc,
> FFA, sodium/potassium salts) following a water wash?

It's still easy to separate out the FFA and excess alcohol (tho ethanol
comes out hydrated, of course). Probably harder to crystallize out salts,
but I never do that either.... -K