It's physically possible but a big job not less because the TDI engine is
controlled by an EDC which you need to install as well as changing the
instrument panel(speedometer). If it makes financial sense under your
conditions I can not say. Here en Denmark some workshops do this conversion,
and it makes financial sense because the TDI second hand prices are high and
stable, but gasoline cars like the Passat Wagon with high mileage can be
imported relative cheap from Germany. An important reason why it makes
financial sence here is that we pay 180% tax on top of the price for all new
and imported second hand passenger cars.

Niels
DK