From: John Guttridge
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 9:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] quality test

dan,

I had similar troubles, look for a more complete post from me on the
subject later in the day as I finish writing it.

some things that helped me:

it is cold here which slows everything down, I had to settle my last
batch for 7 days (it had separated in 12-24 hours but it was still hazy,
after 7 days it is crystal clear)

the water out of my cold tap is cold enough that my fuel failed the
quality test with cold water but passed with 70 degree water, you should
  make sure that your water is at a "reasonable temperature" if you live
in a frozen climate.

I found that my temperature control was insufficient and that I wasn't
getting complete conversion because I wasn't maintaining high enough
temperature, I was surprised to find that oil pre-heated to reaction
temperature and then put in a sort of double-boiler setup with reaction
temperature water in it would drop temperature even if the water was
kept at temperature while I was stirring (I had approximatly equal
volumes of water and oil with a relatively small surface area between
them, I imagine that if your surface area/mass of oil ratio is beter you
have beter results). I found that I needed to put the temperature probe
in the oil to watch the temp and maintain so I had one in the oil and
one in the water so that I could keep and eye on both temperatures and
control things (probably not so much of an issue when you are in a
warmer climate or you keep your shop warm).