on water, additionally alkaline solutions absorb carbon dioxide, converting methoxide into bicarbonate:

                 CO2 + H2O   -->  H2CO3

then -OCH3 + H2CO3 ---> HOCH3 + HCO3 -
 bicarbonate will not catalyze the reaction

However, if you keep it away from the atmoshpere, it should be stable indefinitely (storage in glass will degrade slowly)

Andrew Cunninham wrote:

Thanks for the link, but it still leaves the question of what is the
chemical change that is happening.  Does anyone know if it is simply
taking on water?

Andy