An electrically powered machine, that produces more electricity than it
uses, is a perpetual motion machine, even if it flies.

Solar powered aircraft fly, only through the use of the best conducting
wire, the strongest rare earth permanent magnets and solar cells with the
highest power to weight ratio, not to mention an extremely aerodynamic
shape, a extremely small payload capability, and safety margins that are
non-existent ( not to mention more than a few prayers ).    All it takes is
one thing to go wrong, and it falls out of the sky.    I know they are
around I just don't think they are going to amount to anything other that
aerial reconnaissance or temporary communications relay platforms for an
very long time.

It doesn't matter how many solar cells you put on a aircraft, it not going
to be aerodynamic fit enough, to fly into the middle of the jet stream, with
a couple of wind turbines on it.

Once ' room temperature supper conductor wire ', becomes an everyday item,
then there is a chance, but, only a chance.    I'm not going to hold my
breath.    Every time I see someone promoting something like Helios as the
next step, I have to wonder, what is the ecological cost of such an item?
What is the ecological cost of making " More than 62,000 bifacial solar
cells " ,  when all it takes is a single bad electrical connection, a bit of
radio interference ( static ), to turn it in to expensive ( but useless )
rubble ?

If you want innovation, as far as long distance and endurance is concerned,
look the company that has set the standard for long endurance flights -
Scaled Composites, and the next record breaking aircraft GlobalFlyer.

1 man.    Solo.    Around the world.    Non-stop.

Greg H.