Shell Boss Warns Of Global Warming 'Disaster'
 The Independent,

 Governments, not oil companies, must act now on
 global warming or there will be a "disaster",
 the chairman of Shell's UK arm warned last night.

 Delivering the annual business lecture hosted by
 the environmental group Greenpeace, Lord Oxburgh
 laid responsibility for tackling greenhouse gas
 emissions squarely at the feet of government.

 Lord Oxburgh, a former chief scientific adviser to
 the Ministry of Defence, is one of the two chairmen
 at Shell, the Anglo-Dutch oil giant. He heads the
 UK half of the business. He insisted last night
 that it was not up to the likes of Shell to reform
 their behaviour and reduce their supply of fossil fuels.

 "Whether you like it or not, we live in a capitalist society.
 If we at Shell ceased to find and extract and market fossil
 fuel products while there was demand for them, we would fail
 as a company. Shell would disappear as any kind of
 economic force," Lord Oxburgh maintained.

 He said it was up to government to provide a
 new regulatory framework that would reduce
 the incentive to consume fossil fuels, the
 burning of which produces carbon dioxide,
 the main gas blamed for global warming.

 If government failed to do this, there "will be a disaster"
 he said, pointing to the environmental consequences of a
 rise in the earth's temperature. Lord Oxburgh said that
 Shell would be prepared to accept this kind of regulatory change,
 "provided that our competitors operate under similar constraints".

 He said: "Our job is to respond in a positive way to
 a regulatory environment that has to be determined by
 government ... given the urgency, we have to start now."

 Unusually for an oil company
 the chairman of Shell is an eminent
 scientist and an expert on climate change.
 ---

 Shell Exec: We Need to Shift from Oil
 Jan 26, 2005
 http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/01/shell_exec_we_n.html

 Reuters.  Lord Oxburgh, the chairman of the
 Royal Dutch/Shell Group in Britain, said at a
 Greenpeace conference this week that
 governments should push society towards a
 world less dependent on fossil fuel given
 the potentially "disastrous" consequences
 of climate change.

     [He] added that governments needed to act to make
     renewable and less environmentally harmful energy
     sources more economical compared to hydrocarbons.

     "Shell is an energy company and I would be very
     surprised if Shell were doing business in the same way in
     30 years time as it is today ... It's difficult to see why
     big business should be frightened," Oxburgh said.

     The burning of fossil fuels appeared to be causing
     global warming, Oxburgh added, and this posed a
     potentially disastrous risk to the world. He urged
     governments in developed countries to introduce taxes,
     regulations or plans such as the European Union
     trading scheme to increase the cost of emitting carbon
     dioxide, a gas many scientists tie to global warming.

     In doing so, he added, technologies such as biofuel,
     carbon sequestration, the use of hydrogen as a fuel and
     wave power would displace the use of oil, gas and coal.

 Lord Oxburgh (earlier post) has been outspoken about
 the need for carbon sequestration and the need to
 move off of a fossil fuel platform. His point about
 business is exactly to the point. (Oxburgh, as an
 interesting coincidence, was a graduate school
 classmate of Prof. Ken Deffeyes, author of
 Hubbert's Peak and an upcoming follow-on.)
 ---

 Shell oil chief defects to the green lobby
 Jan 30, 2005
 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1462584,00.html

 THE outgoing chairman of Shell has announced he
 wants to take up a post with a climate-change
 charity when he quits the oil giant later this year,
 writes Jonathan Leake.

 Lord Oxburgh is so concerned at the potential
 destruction from global warming that he wants to
 devote more of his time to cutting greenhouse gas
 emissions and the use of fossil fuels.

 The move is likely to cause some embarrassment
 at Shell, one of the biggest oil and gas producers in
 the world.

 Despite a history of environmental controversies, it
 is now seen as one of the greenest oil companies,
 but each year its worldwide activities and products
 still release about 700m tons of carbon dioxide
 into the atmosphere.

 By contrast, emissions from the whole of Britain
 total around 560m tons out of a total world output
 of 25 billion tons.

 Oxburgh, who chairs Shell as a non-executive,
 said: ãWhen I leave I would like to go onto the
 board of a climate change charity. I would be
 campaigning for more responsible use of
 hydrocarbons.ä

 Oxburgh, who is also chairman of the House of
 Lords science and technology committee,
 emphasises that the target of such campaigns
 would not be so much the oil companies as
 government ministers and departments.

 He believes it is only through taxation, regulation
 and new technology that the world can have any
 hope of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

 However, his belief that governments should
 impose higher taxes on aviation fuels, petrol, oil,
 gas and other hydrocarbons to discourage their
 use may alarm other oil company executives.

 Oxburgh, an academic geologist by training,
 became chairman unexpectedly last year after the
 forced departure of Sir Philip Watts, who was
 criticised in the controversy over the overstating of
 Shellâs oil reserves. The peer has now reached
 retirement age and is due to leave this summer.

 He has faced apparent contradictions in chairing
 Shell ÷ for example, by accepting long ago
 scientific arguments that the climate was being
 changed by greenhouse gas emissions. This has
 prompted him to abandon the executive transport
 and car park offered by Shell and adopt a folding
 bicycle, which he keeps in a cupboard in the lobby
 of the Shell building on the South Bank in London.

 At home, Oxburgh has persuaded his wife and son
 to use bicycles and abandon the car ãexcept for
 trips to the supermarketä. For those, he uses a
 diesel capable of 60 miles to the gallon.

 ãDomestically we all ride bicycles and use the car
 as little as we can,ä he said. The family has also
 abandoned air travel for holidays ÷ though
 Oxburgh still regularly has to fly on business
 matters.

 His Cambridge home, insulated and
 double-glazed, is now also fully equipped with
 energy-saving light bulbs. ãI have some struggles
 with my family; there is a little resistance because
 they take a little while to warm up,ä he said.

 Oxburgh has also helped Shell worldwide to adopt
 similar measures. The company now carries out
 carbon audits, employs consultants to seek new
 ways of cutting energy use and has drawn up
 long-term plans to reduce greenhouse gas
 emissions from its internal activities.

 However, environmentalists say such measures are
 trivial when Shell is continually expanding its
 operations. Tony Juniper, director of Friends of
 the Earth, said: ãBefore he leaves, Lord Oxburgh
 should be trying to change Shell. The company is
 pumping more oil and gas than ever before.ä

 Oxburghâs ambition was, however, welcomed by
 Greenpeace, which has a long history of clashes
 with Shell, most famously when it successfully
 campaigned against the companyâs attempts to
 dump the disused Brent Spar oil rig at sea in 1995.

 Blake Lee-Harwood, director of campaigns at
 Greenpeace UK, said: ãWe would still disagree on
 many issues but his expertise and experience
 would make him a welcome addition to the team.ä