Reading that the World Bank's name is attached to this, I can't say that
I agree with the approach of this document.

I think you can't paint it with such a broad brush. An odious organisation indeed, along with the IMF and the WTO et al, but not all the World Bank does is bad, and not everyone who works for them is an ogre. I've known cases where good people have seen an opportunity open and have turned World Bank projects to good account. You have to judge it case by case. Another example: we also tend to have the idea that there can't be anything good about promoting the production of tobacco, yet even that can be not quite so clearcut. Good local development efforts have piggy-backed tobacco projects into areas where they would not otherwise have been possible. Was it worth it? No easy answer there, but nor can you so easily say that that particular tobacco project was "bad". You'd need to get some mud on your boots at ground level to find real answers, and there'd probably be different answers in the next valley.

So reports like the one below should not be dismissed out of hand, nor embraced wholeheartedly and uncritically either. Same problem with all information, eh? Here we are in the Information Age and nobody gets taught how to handle information, what a surprise! (Not!). LOL!

Regards

Keith

>From the ELDIS AGRICULTURE AND DEVELOPMENT REPORTER, 14 December 2004,
http://www.eldis.org/agriculture/

THE STATE OF FOOD INSECURITY IN THE WORLD 2004

Author(s): FAO

Produced by: Economic and Social Department (ES), FAO (2004)

Hunger and malnutrition cause tremendous human suffering,
kill more than five million children every year, and cost
developing countries billions of dollars in lost
productivity and national income, according to the 2004 FAO
annual hunger report.

<snip>