Hi Luc,

As I believe you said that your sister was thinking of moving to Europe from
her homeland for a bit of fresh air

        Uh, Derek, that would be MY sister!

I might mention that I am a US expatriate. I've lived overseas now for a total
of fifteen years.

I moved to Canada in 1992. It's been an enlightening experience to live as a guest in someone else's country.

I am also married to a European, which leads to some interesting (dis)harmonies
as I constantly hear a European viewpoint in one ear and a US viewpoint in the
other from my US family.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who experiences this "disharmony". Sometimes, I'm astonished at the contrast in perspectives, given that we live relatively close to one another, speak the same language and share many cultural values. Some Americans think that Canada is either one step away from communist, or so very much the same that there are no significant differences between the countries. There certainly ARE differences, but they are subtle.

It has been an education and a valued one.

        Indeed!

I would encourage her to go. It would be an adventure and an education and I
don't think she would ever regret it. I know we haven't.

She's been to Europe a few times already and really appreciates the diversity of views and experience there. Europe is not without its problems, however, and she's not naive. I would be sad to see her go, only because she would be very far away, and at times, she seems like the only thinking person in my entire family.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>